Sign in to follow this  
destructiv dave

Widetrack on 2l16v

Bit of a story here but bear with me please

Whilst changing my Clutch Master Cylinder the other day, one of the nuts that hold the cylinder to the bulkhead from the inside fell into the steering U/J gaitor. Having owned a number of Golfs, I didn't think much of it, as these tend to split over time, so expected a hole and hence the nut to drop out.

Lo and behold, the nut got wedged in there this afternoon, resulting in me not being able to turn right, not much of a problem as not far from home.

Got home, and whilst reverse parking, ended up being very forceful in order to apply right lock, and was greeted with the smell of hot PAS fluid and the sight of it all over my street. Seems I have busted the seals in the rack on the drivers side and also mangled the casting around the U/J connector.

Now I am looking into racks from scrappies and am thinking of going for a wider track by using Passat parts (wishbones, drive shafts).

Is there anything else I need to rob off the donor car to make wide track?

Thanks for reading.

I have the Passat steering rack and wishbones but struggling to get hold of the driveshafts. Is it possible to use Mk3 Golf driveshafts, or is it only Passat.

I'm assuming that any Passat driveshafts from the era will fit, and if there are any problems with the CV joints, I can always change them off my Corrado driveshafts.

For the sake of the parts (about £50) then yes I feel it is worth considering.

Need to space my wheels out and would rather go down this route then spending £150 on a set of HR spacers.

If you fit the rack off a VR6 golf,passat,corrado make sure you also fit the 'ZF' rack's PAS pump+pressure feed pipe aswell,i did this conversion on my corrado without fitting the VR's PAS pump and pipe and the steering was normal when you turned the steering wheel slowly but when suddenly grabbed it went hard,still driveable but not to my liking,the VR6 pump is a direct fit to the G60's mounting braket,the pipe just needs to be re-routed.