Sign in to follow this  
kebabman

C2 Supercharger - UltimateTune

Hi guys, more questions, sorry. :oops:

I'm looking at the best way to spend a couple of grand on my VR to liven the ol' girl up a bit. One option is new engine, the other is supercharging, as it seems to me that N/A tuning the 12v provides a poor bhp/£ return.

Anyway...I was looking around and saw the GB on VR6OC for the C2 Stage 1 S/C kits @ £2100. They also offer fitting and a 2 yr warranty at £250.

Sounds like a good deal, but there's a lot of talk and not a lot of action from the threads I can see on VROC. Has anyone had any dealings with 'UltimateTune'? Their website still isn't up despite them saying it would be a fortnight ago...which in itself makes me nervous. Is the C2 kit comparible in quality to the VF kit?

Lastly my engine has done 134k, is an S/C setup going to cause instant destruction?

Cheers :)

Alex

Personally I think the C2 kit sounds like a better kit than the VF kit but there are many differing opinions on this.

Im going to wait till after Ultimatetune get the first batch of chargers out before considering going for one.

i was considering the c2 kit but when th vf kit deal came up i plummed for that.

the reason i decided this is

1. uk support and yes it has been required as can be seen in the supercharged thread - wouldn't feel comfortable with the level of support for the c2 kit

2. proper map provided - some debate about the availability or quality of the c2 map - previously the kit only supplied bigger injectors to prevent lean running - this is only half a solution

3. v9 charger s trim trim quiet and smaller and fits corrado better - v1 &2 less efficient and bigger and bulkier and noiser

4. afermarket uk support for parts problems and further development

5. already know 3 other kits that work well, have been ultra reliable and well supported

Well i guess i have to shout in here.

Both the C2 and the VF kits are good by virtue that they both use the Vortech units.

That's where it pretty much ends.

The C2 system was only launced as an OBDII compliant system with no map or support for OBDI or distributor models.

Quote from C2 "Please follow us through upcoming months as we dedicate to bring you Stage-II, Stage-III, and Stage-IV kits."

"C2 motorsports stage II kit (stage II = 42# injectors ... 1 headspacer) inclduing a Vortech V2 supercharger"

This means a total head off job and all that goes with it and from what i'm lead to believe from C2 thier kit isn't for a Corrado either so good luck getting the Golf charger inlet to fit because i couldn't! and i tried plenty!

Ther aren't setup for the Corrado by any means, It's based upon and aimed at the Golf market and that is a larger engine bay and an OBDII ECU and a 2.8L engine, i'll let you come to your own conclusions.

I stand to be corrected on all of the above however all the info was gleaned from the C2 site it's self or from a representative of C2.

VF-engineering

I have abused my VF kit for a couple of years now and i have nearly 170,000miles on my engine with no issues at all due to the Vortech charger.

Always starts and runs smooth as well as Guy H and Kevhaywire, Trippy and H8RRA to name but a few.

The kit is sorted for the Corrado specifically and uses the slightly more compact Vortech V9fSQ S-trim charger unit with the correctly dimensioned inlet pipe and a specific UK adjusted map.

The V9 unit can happily produce 23psi but is only asked to deliver 8psi in this tune for the STGII kit.

There has been issues with a couple of things but the guys in the supply chain were there to help and cause a solution.

In fact, Nik whom owns VF-engineering phoned me up one evening to resolve an issue with a map needed to run H8RRA's CP version ECU with immobilizer and Nik stayed on the phone whilst we received the new map by email then whilst blowing it onto the chip and fitting into the ECU then whilse starting and had GIAC on the other phone so as to be able to action a resolve in the shortest time and give the best dealer support.

This could not be expected by any other supplier or re-seller with any stretch of the imagination.

There is plenty more i could say but my fingers are tired so will leave it for another post.

i augmented a GB for the STGII VF kit and 6 were purchased, 4 from this forum.

I can only condone the VF kit supplied and distributed by Raj at NS Racing in London for the above reasons!

Chris

C2 has no software for the Corrado. I know this as fact...so I don't know what's going to run the car. The only OBD 1 software they have is for 95 Golf.

Support is going to be sketchy, as they are a small operation here in the US. They are hard enough to get a hold of here...imagine overseas.

The only advantage to the C2 package is the V1 charger. It will make more power than VF's V9...if you have the proper software to run it.

Well said RS VR6, and you're from the USA so should know!

As i said all of the Vortech units are great and bullit proof but the unit isn't the kit!

The V1/2 units are impressive but are deffinately larger and trickier to fit in the Corrado, more suited to the Golf though as highlighted above, they are only producing 6 or 8 or 10psi depending upon which stage you are using so it's matterless really which one is used when all comes to all.

I like my V9 but wouldn't have been fussed either way if it was a V2 instead of the V9 as 8psi is 8psi.

Chris

Kebabman, if you want to spend £2K then I defo recommend a charger. You think a normally aspirated VR has character, wait until hear and feel it with a Vortech strapped to it :lol:

Mine still isn't 100% there yet but in the 1500 miles I've run it so far, it's been great.

I agree on the comments made about C2 etc. NSRacing have been superb in helping me with my issues. Raj answers emails almost instantly and is helpful on the phone at almost any time of day. He's even offered to custom map my car for me and lend me a car to use whilst he does it. You have to ask yourself, could C2 offer that level of service? The extras they offer over the VF kit I've found aren't really necessary and the quality of the VF parts is very, very good. As Chris said, the conversion hinges around the Vortech blower, so either kit will make you grin when you floor it, but VF's/NSR's support and experience win here. They won't just send you a box of bits and leave you to it, they're there to assist at every junction....

I'm still not convinced by Ultimateune tbh, but I'll change my opinion if/when I read about successfull kits being sold and installed from them.

At some stage I will be putting together a full guide based on my experiences as it's not plain sailing unfortunately, which is to be expected when adding another 100hp to the engine!

My lump is on 120K and if anything it feels better every day, so don't worry about that. I've had my head and chains done though. And my gearbox is lower ratio'd than standard so it feels quicker anyway, especially in the bottom end.

The first C2 kit sold by Ultimatetune has just been fitted to a golf on vr6oc and rolling roaded at Stealth.

Stage 1 - 290bhp and over 260lb-ft of torque.

Apparently before the remap there was some detonation over 5000rpm that caused the management to retard the timing making it feel like hitting a rev limiter. Sound familiar Kev?