Sign in to follow this  
Adil

HELP!

Hi all, need help!

My headlights on my 1.8 16V keep dimming. This only happens when the car is running and the car is in gear, particularly when I push the acelerator hard, infact the accelerator on occasion acts like a switch! dimming my headlights ie it does not happen when I rev the engine freely standing still. and oh the alternator belt is tight.

Its a nightmare, other drivers think I am flashing them when I lift of the accelerator as the headlights go back to normal.

I heard about a uprated wiring loom for the headlight, I might get one in hope that it sorts it out.

Anyone had a similar prob?

Had my corrado for 3 year now and for some reason this year I am getting lots anoying of costly problems!

ADs.

Welcome to the Forum mate, and I'll second what ben16v, said, get an uprated loom from h100vw and that should solve your problems.

Cheers,

Tom

May be your voltage regulator on the alternator, try putting a voltmeter across the battery and get someone to rev the engine... (should read over 14v always with engine running)

are the lights dimming or are they dropping to dipped beam ?

the uprated loom makes a dramatic difference whetherit would fix your problem depends on what the problem is really because it is plug n play , so it does use the existing loom

the lights at the mo get 9v , the loom uses this to switch relays to allow the lights to run direct from the battery

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for your replies.

The headlamps seem to twitch and then dim as if they are dipped, not switching to dipped I believe.

I will try and investigate the problem prior to buying/making a new loom I think.

I measured the voltage accross the battery when I was reving the engine and it was 13.8V. This drops to 13.7V when the lights are switched on.

Are these readings ok?, bearing in mind I have 1.8 16V with a 65Amp alternator.

Also I have noticed that one of my rear fog lights has blown a bulb. Would this affect the rest of the lighting system?

I have so many things to sort on my C, my girlfriend is getting jelious!, one step at a time.

Ad

I think most VW alt's should put out 14.5, maybe worth buying a new brush/regulator pack for it...

13.8v should be fine, providing it doesn't drop loads when you switch all the electrics on, I'd say it's more likely to be a wiring/switch contact problem with that age of car, you could wire one of the lights permanently on to test that before going for a relay(loom) setup, although that is a good investment on a corrado anyway.

The alternator diodes can give up on that type/age of alternator, but that will generally result in a 12-12.5v or less charge to the battery with the engine running.

David.

I fitted a new voltage regulator and still had the problem of the headlamps dimming when driving.

I have just fitted an uprated wiring loom and seems to have sorted the problem!! yippe!

The question I have left on the topic is this dim dip bussiness. I have disconnected 1 yellowish connection block comming from a 75mm long componet thats secured to the inner wing beside the battery. I believe this is coil that people talk about, but is there one per headlight? ie do I have to do the same to the other side when the air box is?

I have it disconnected and see no difference in operation of the lights with regards to switching/engine running etc.

Oh and after I sorted this problem I grabed the door handle to get into the car and the door would not open! ... one prob goes another comes! I will ask as another topic.