Sign in to follow this  
H8RRA

fitted 3.1 vr with front a rear vf mounts - need advice

extreme vibrations being transmitted - can't see anything obvious - wondering if its a characteristic of the rear mount as that wasn't fitted before this engine install - but its far too severe to leave on if thats the case - anyone had experience of such? will have a look when i get the chance but any idea's wuld be nice

davebirl had these in his car and as far as i know he only left the front mount in because it was just too severe.

Raj has sent me a VF front mount Paul, I'll let you know what it's like with my Vibratechnics rear and powerflex cross member bushes. I suspect 2 x poly mounts is a bit on the stiff side. On the front you can get away with it as the front X member moves also. At the rear you have no additional movement.

My mate has fitted VT mounts all round and its very rough. I would stick to just the front and possibly the g/box mount if I were you. The rear mount is (as Kev said) effectively direct to the shell and will transmit everything. The front mount however is on an independant beam.

Jay

Really? I have VT front and rear and a turn2 gearbox mount, plus the poly Xmember bushes and it's spot on. Barely any additional vibration at all, in fact I was thinking today on the way back from work how creamy the engine feels at the moment 8)

Interesting.... I just have a solid front mount at the mo (with poly x-member bushes) and standard everything else. I want to uprate the rears, but don't want to ruin the smoothness...

Jay

Well I can definitely recommend my set up. The only time you really feel them is when the clutch bites, it's slightly more abrupt than standard, other than that it feels fine. The throttle response is a lot more urgent and cornering is so much nicer without that dead mass flopping about.

If you weren't so far away you could try mine and judge for yourself, but you know I'm as fussy as you :wink:

my cars going to be a go kart then. The coilovers are about 3/4 hard and i'm currently fitting a seam welded cross member, all three VF engine mounts, upper and lower front strutbraces in addition to eibach anti-roll bars. Ooh and its completely polybushed. Its going to be a complete bitch to drive :?

So er.. if its going to be so awful to drive, why did you buy the bits?! :scratch:

It may not be as bad as you think in practice. Depends what your local roads are like. I applaud the use of bracing and seam welding. A 10+ year old shell needs all the help it can get.

I've engineered mine for the roads I use most frequently, i.e. nasty ones, but they've all been recently resurfaced so I can now afford to go lower and stiffer, hence my recent purchase of some H&R coilovers 8)

So er.. if its going to be so awful to drive, why did you buy the bits?! :scratch:

Cos' it could be a blast too and i'd like to find out. Its going to have some serious mechanical grip, if i only have to change the rear mount back to std i can live with that.

A20 LEE, are you gonna drive it like it's stolen like i do? :lol:

Chris

i don't push it to the limit for obvious reasons but its driven alot harder than you'd expect.

i have a vt front mount and solid gearbox mount and brand new rear engine mount

no vibrations at all, i realise you probably know this but what the hell .... did you drop the engine down and waggle it forwards and backwards , side to side , then it will settle in a natural position otherwise the mounts can pull against each other

just a suggestion ... i'll get my coat :-)

original mount refitted tonight - brand new vf rear mount for sale - only covered 3 miles........ :roll:

original mount refitted tonight - brand new vf rear mount for sale - only covered 3 miles........ :roll:

cured the vibration problem?

totally - vf front okay - vf rear seems excessive, like a double decker diesel running an engine of a bag of hammers - couldn't even wait til lthe weekend to take it off - may try refitting at some point but rather than buggering about, wanted to establish whether the original mount made a substantial difference as the lsd, 6 speed, rear mount and 3.1 went in all together