Sign in to follow this  
storm1

is it a real storm

hi all just wondered as someone asked me how do u prove that your storm is a real storm as it doesnt show up on the hpi check or on the log book which i thought it wouldnt anyway. Anyway can u phone volkswagen and find out from them iff anyone knows let me no

Yes, phone VAG Milton Keynes with the chassis number and they can confirm.

Is yours a Mystic Blue one mate? Provided you can match that mystic blue paint code in the boot, its gotta be a storm - you could never get a non-storm Corrado in that colour :)

Provided you can match that mystic blue paint code in the boot

Or the paint code & paint colour on the bar code strip on the inner front wing panel by the airbox.

Before I bought my storm I phoned VW (any main dealer can provide the information) with the vin/chassis no. and they were able to confirm that the car was a storm. This information was recorded on their database when the car was originally sold.

In addition, if the car is mystic blue the paint code on the sticker inside the boot should be LC5L (storm specific) this should also be on the sticker on the first page of the service schedule book.

other than that there isn't much to discern a storm from a standard VR6 but look for a front grille with the two tops slats closed. This was specific to the storm for some reason although not sure why. If this is missing the car may still be a storm as it could have been replaced after an accident.

The car should be fitted with 15" solitudes and these may be fitted with either BBS or VW wheel caps.

Hope this helps.

Sorry MR.OTS, but I have a standard late black VR6 grille here which only has the bottom slat open, so that's not a Storm-specific feature.

Indeed I have two non storms with only the bottom slat open.

Thanks you for that correction guys. I had assumed that this was a storm specific feature as I hadn't seen a grille with only the bottom slat open on a VR6, although I have seen a fully open grille on a Storm. :oops:

seen a fully open grille on a Storm

Maybe mine at a show but then the original 1 open slat grille is in the loft. Engine runs cooler by upto 3'C on the oil temp with all three slats open. (104'C motorway/96-98 30 - 40 town)

1995 production used the 1 open slat grille so the only distinguishing mark is that the Storm grilles were colour coded to the body paint colour, other C's weren't. 10 years on and thats a different story today.

Generally the spare grille available from suppliers like the dealers and GPC has been the 3 open slat one. Hence when broken, that is what has been the replacement.

Only one way to publically verify its a Storm - VAG phone call (Or PM me with a chassis number and I will....... :ignore: :wink: )

Maybe I should get a fully open grille, my oil temp on the motorway can be around 110-115'C and have even seen it running at 120-122'C. Around town it is usually around 102-104'C

What do you think?

Seems mad to me that they made most grills with only one slat open, big hot engine....small space...etc

around 102-104'C

What do you think?

First make sure the coolant mix is 40% G12+ /60% water, not 50%/50% but remember if the winter gets to -15'C for a few winter days to run the engine regularly or top up the G12+ by 0.5 litres. Then decide on the grille.

most grills with only one slat open

To do with winter climate and warm up, like the covers/hjckets on radiators many year ago to restrict cold air. Unfortunately the world has got warmer in summers (GW) and milder in the winters for the UK. VR6 take 15 minutes to fully warm up unlike a 8v/16v taking 10 minutes. And it restricts the icy blast into the engine bay at speed whichg will over cool the engine causing raised fuel consumption.

Thanks for the info RW1, I think the coolant could do with a change out anyway so I will try the ratio you have suggested when refilling.