Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

still unhappy with gearchange

ive never been that pleased with my cable gearchange, ive put redline mt90 in it, and ive gone trough the gearstick and linkage bit to check for wear/play and its all good

the change is fairly notchy..and if i do get it close to right it seems to go out often :oops:

so...can the bit on top of the box be changed ..is likley to be worn ..easy job??

or has anyone got the ajustment tool they can lend me

any advise welcome

yeah its all greased up etc....im sure the box has its fair share of wear , but id like to get it as nice as possible

i was thinking maybe a 2nd hand selector thingy ? if theyre easy fit

I've fitted one of dave16v's shortshifts but it's just made the notchy ness more noticable...

All G60's are notchy and all VR's are smooth - maybe worth comparing parts on ETKA and seeing whats different...

How old is the box?

Steve is right, I'm not sure why but the VRs do seem to have a very good shift. Not boasting, but mine is exceptionally good. No slop, no lateral play, no baulking. It's as good as any modern box you'll try, if not better....and that was *before* it was rebuilt with all new synchros and bearings.

It might be that the adjustment at the gearbox is slightly off. You can slacken the two 13mm nuts and try moving them in each direction a mill at a time and see if matters improve. When it's all setup right, you'll be pleased. Does yours have the big counter weight on it?

What are your engine mounts like? If the rear and gearbox ones are tired, it can make 1st to 2nd changes very reluctant when booting it.

Any crunching or anything?

my laptop cant use etka...

how notchy are we talking here?? i dunno if im too fussy sometimes, its prob all the time i spent working on vauxhalls lol

and yeah..i have got the weight on it

All G60's i've driven are notchy and all late 16v's, 8v's and VR's have been very smooth altho some more than others...

Infact, the only G60 I've driven where I liked the shift was one that was a cat C write off that had been rebuilt using alot of front end parts from a VR (not exactly sure what tho)

Steveo, how notchy? Hmmm, hard to guage really as we all have our own opinons on it. I've driven Supercharged's G60 (before the quickshift) and felt it was ever so slightly grating through the gears, but otherwise fine. In my VR, it's not gratey at all. When changing down from 5th to 3rd slowly, I can feel through the lever the layshaft slowing down and the synchros matching the output shaft to the road speed in a smooth manner.... it's hard to explain in words.... but I suppose if you change gear and you think it's reluctant, then it is.

What is the gearstick like when in neutral and wobbling it about? There should be very little slop in any direction.

the gearstick is tight ..ive taken everything apart that i can and checked/replaced greased as req

as for how notchy...like you said , i can feel things happening when i change gear , it doesnt slip into gear that nicley , i feel sometimes i have to force it

its usable , but im picky and want it better...put it this way the g/f grumbles about it and misses gears and im sure average joe would comment on the gearchange not being normal

Ah OK, sounds like you're on my wavelength with the shafts and synchros then.... my stick literally falls forward (from 5th to 3rd) once the synchies match the road speed, no effort required at all. If you have to nudge it home, that isn't quite right. Unfortunately the 02A cable box was never renowned for it's slick action but it's all down to personal opinion..... Not really sure tbh, sounds like you've done all the usual things....if you can, try a VR and see how that feels in comparison.... depending where you live, you can try mine, or Vince at Stealth is the God of gearboxes and can soon diagnose it.

ive worked in garages all my life....ive tried plenty of mk3 vr6 golfs and a few c's.....none felt like mine

one more point to add..if i play around with ajustments, it feels great stood still engine off...then totaly differant when i get down the road

Yeah I've had several MK2s, know the feeling, but they were easy to sort with a linkage rebush...not quite so easy with the 02A unfortunately.