Sign in to follow this  
The Leningrad Cowboy

'Wanted' shots of The Purple Peril

OK. I've had the car a while, but not popped any pics up here because although I just love driving her, she's like a criminal on the run, with nowhere to wash or brush up i.e. not that pretty looking.

Anyway, here's a few pics. Found a reasonable one in the Karmann car park.

No mods really apart from debadged grille (the old one was rattling about), the Lupo wipers and Gav's uprated head lamp loom.

Things I'd like to do as follows, but a long list with a short bank balance. She'd better add getaway car in a bank robbery to her wanted list so that I can get on with some of these!

My 'philosophy' is to keep it pretty much standard, especially looks wise - just very subtle changes. I feel like I'd like to end up with a Shrick, though - seems like something VW motorsport themselves wanted to do.

Anyway. The further down the list, the further away.

Osram Silverstar headlamp bulbs (got 'em, waiting to fit) [DONE - OCT'05]

Also got free 'ice blue' parking light(?) bulbs, think about fitting them [WON'T DO - DON'T FIT!]

BMC CDA filter

Wheel sand blast and re-lacquer (anyone know someone cheap in Brissle to do it? [ONE DONE NOV 05]

New fog lights

Replace fan blower [DONE 12 DEC 05] and fix blower direction controller

Fix the sunroof (and maybe change the headliner for another I have, although whichever goes back needs cleaning)

Repair engine cover bolts - one is nicely rounded - thanks

Think about new steering wheel and gear knob (original, hopefully)

New suspension to lower it a bit - think about which set to get.

New driver's door [NOT REQUIRED - DE-DENTED AND RESPRAYED NOV 05]

Full dent removal job [MOST ARE NOW GONE NOV 05 - COUPLE OF TINCY ONES LEFT]

Full respray in original blackberry [sTILL NEEDS A GOOD RESPRAY, THOUGH]

New roof seals (maybe even before the respray)

New windscreen seal, as the current ones prevented me exceeding 125mph! (maybe before the respray)

New window seals all round

Mocal oil cooler

Shrick VGI, cams and remap

You never know, maybe even a supercharger - you have to have a dream!

Thanks mate - I certainly like the colour; although it wouldn't have been what I would have first thought of! That's why I want to keep it when I have a respray.

Nice job getting the press car, BTW, but when you re-create your press hot, don't forget to leave the spoiler down! :wink:

I got some more shots mate from the 'bahn.. as soon as I can be bothered to plug in this other harddrive i'll get em for you :)

I got some more shots mate from the 'bahn.. as soon as I can be bothered to plug in this other harddrive i'll get em for you :)

Thanks Jim. I'm trying to get hold of my other memory card from Keith (he's bought an Ixus 700 now, so he can't even use my old card!) and then I'll just chuck all our piccies on a CD. Hopefully, we can actually get it together before the Stealth RR, and you can have one then. Sorry, no David Bailey arty shots like you seem to be able to manage, though!

OK, a bit of blackberry jam this morning. Some knob 'didn't realise' I was turning right off the main road, and turned right onto the main road and into me. :2gunfire:

Damage isn't massive, but I'm a bit concerned about the sill being all rolled over. The panel with the rear wheel arch is quite big as well, and the paint's damaged, so I'm not sure how they'll deal with it. Anyone got any idea's on how difficult these are to fix? I'm pretty sure he's given the wheel a whack as well, so I'll make sure they check that out. They all need a refurb anyway, and if there's a spraying session in the offing, I might just jump on the back of it!

The lucky thing was that a guy approached when I got back in my car to drive off. He offered himself as a witness, and gave me his card - happened to be a Detective Constable, who had been in the queue behind the Transit :salute:

Still, the C gave as much as it got - he had to recover his bumper from the other side of the road!

Wot a shitter, like you say though it could turn out to your advantage, tis a cool colour supprised all that dirt dint protect it a bit more though!! lol :multi:

Did I see my car on a couple of those picies, they look very familier 8)

Seanasie mate!

I have finally got Keith's piccies from Osnabruck, so I'll get them on a CD or two and probably take them to that rolling road day at the end of November. Are you going to that, or can you get Supercharged to take you back a copy?

And yes, I was working on building up a layer of protective armour on the understanding that I would eventually get a whack driving around Bristol all the time. Hopefully when the garage fix it, they'll wash it too!

Hi Man,

yeh I'm goin to the rolling road day so keep hold of the piccies till then, should be good us all meeting up again, think I'm the only one not goin on the rollers though :( , not to worry though 8).

I'll be bringing my piccies too so if anyone wants any of them I can put em on disk and send em on 8)

OK, got the car back from Gemini in Brissle just in time for the Stealth Rolling Road day, and they have done a great job, and tidied up a couple of additional places too. I'll wait until a nice day for a couple of snaps. They also refurbished the rear offside wheel, which I didn't expect, including a new tyre. It just makes the others look sad now though!

On having a puncture repaired, the garage chap suggested that my front driver's wheel had buckled (accident maybe, possibly just time) and therefore needed a lot of weight to balance it. This could explain the vibration I get above 85-90mph. This, coupled with a bit of a heavy, passenger side pavement kiss on the way to Stealth has encouraged me to try and source some cheap Speedlines. I think I'll get these refurbished and then swap them for those on the car that need it. I'll get a full laser alignment after that.

The other thing that now needs doing is the ABS pump. Vince confirmed my suspicions (although I had been in denial) that the ABS pump was the cause of the always-on ABS light. VAG quoted £1744, hopefully I've managed to get one from bigpantsbaby for a fair sight less than that!

Lastly, RR figures:

27-11-2005

Max power speed: 5776rpm

Power at flywheel (corrected): 203.4bhp

Power at wheels: 149.6bhp

Max torque speed: 4463rpm

Max torque (corrected): 193.2lbft

So, pretty pleased with that for a twelve year old stock VR6!

Wow, I bet your pleased with those RR results, where are you getting that power from??

Looking nice mate, my speedlines have been refurb'd recently and it makes such a difference. What is the next mod then? Suspension? If your still looking out for steering wheel and gear knob there are a few VR6's being broken at the mo.. And yes, that is a lot of money to turn off your ABS light!

Wow, I bet your pleased with those RR results, where are you getting that power from??

Looking nice mate, my speedlines have been refurb'd recently and it makes such a difference. What is the next mod then? Suspension? If your still looking out for steering wheel and gear knob there are a few VR6's being broken at the mo.. And yes, that is a lot of money to turn off your ABS light!

Not sure where the power's coming from! A couple of things, though. Apparently there was a German car tax increase for cars of 200bhp or over when the VR6 was on sale, so VW probbaly slightly underquoted. The other thing is, that the 190bhp quote must be a minimum (I'd be upset as a VR6 customer if I got less than that!), so I guess most VR6s are actually over 190bhp. Certainly at Stealth, they all made it to at least 198bhp, I think, but for one with an MAF problem. Have you run yours?

Suspension is probably a bit steep to go for at the mo. Maybe later next year. I have already bought one leather gear knob from a broken Corrado, but I guess by now they've all had a fair few miles on them, and it's worn pretty badly again. Jim recommended this knob and gaiter combo, and you don't even have to plug it in!

I did consider just taking the ABS warning light bulb out, but with my driving, I need all the help I can get!

OK - got through the MoT with a bit of trouble but ultimately OK. Now apparently a broken front anti-roll bar. We'll see...

Next work has to be getting the wheels refurbished. Trouble is, what I thought was put away for that turned into a small part of a 10 day excursion snowboarding to Jackson Hole, WY. Oh well - can't complain, it was greeeaaaaat, despite the muddy arse!

What a pretty car you got there.... I'm lovin the colour ;) Did your always on ABS light get fixed after? I got a similar problem on mine and looking for possible causes... :?

I'm sure it has been mate.

Really hope it gets sorted out and looks fab again even if it means someone making a profit on it...... Must be better than seeing it broken.