billinjah

New MOT??

what exactly are the new rules? if i take there are no more free retests? so i have to pay again if i fail, which i know im going to but want it tested so i can do all the litle jobs at the same time.

When your car is mot'd, if it fails and u take it off the premises of the garage. you will have to pay for a retest, but if you leave it with them to do the work there is no retest

this is what i was told when i had my corrado mot month ago

chris

AFAIK (reading last month's Practical Classics magazine) there's no right to a free retest, it largely depends on what the garage is prepared to offer, though the DoT fee is waived if the test is done within the next working day.

The problem with the new, computerised system for a lot of MOT test centres is that to certify a re-test requires all the same boxes to be ticked again on the computer screen as would be the case if you do a test from scratch, so many of them are ending their previous offers of a 'free retest'. Leaving your car with the garage to have it brought up to standard may generate enough income to offset their administration cost.

Old post but it looks like there could be some more new rules in place soon, with MOT tests coming every 2 years...

I don't believe that, I remember hearing about this years ago.

Too many unroadworthy cars out there for them to leave it for 2 years between tests!