Sign in to follow this  
cubed

front brakes binding...badly!!?

hi! wondering if anyone can help with this one? just got the c back on the road today,and went for the obligatory run round town.noticed a strange smell on the way back in

pulled up,got out and checked the wheels(burnt rubber/paint)smell coming from the drivers side wheel

the wheel was mad hot and the caliper paint bubbled

the disc doesnt appear to be warped,and isnt all shades of blue.

ive just refit it with brand new discs and pads,and the calipers seemed in great nick when refitted,slipped straight on! any help on this one urgently needed and as always appreciated!!! thanks!

sounds like seized runners? grease them up or may need new calipers sound like they are not retracting back and binding on??? mayb i had this problem on the rear once. Do a serch in drivetrain for seized calipers see wat come up

cheers

cheers bud, i copperslipped all the runners when i reassembled them so maybe callipers? i really hope not ! im down to the moths in the old wallet! :lol: i,l strip em down tommorrow night and see if theres anything untoward.

cheers bud!!

Front calipers aren't too pricey. Mine is binding too, since putting new discs+pads on, and the guides have been cleaned and greased a plenty. Refurbed front VR6 calipers are £45 ish from the dealers.

Weird thing is mine are fine when cold ...

Problem is with the worn disks and pads, the caliper never fully retracts so it's easy for the last bit of travel to become sticky.

Front calipers aren't too pricey. Mine is binding too, since putting new discs+pads on, and the guides have been cleaned and greased a plenty. Refurbed front VR6 calipers are £45 ish from the dealers.

Yeah Mat, I've just done all my brake discs/pads wheel bearings on the TDi as part of a 200,000 mile service, rear calipers, copper lines and hoses too..

Was thinking of swapping the front calipers just because of age and so everything brakes is done at the same time...

Do they give you brand new calipers in exchange do you know??

They are refurbed (exchange) parts that you're supplied with, but they've been cleaned and refitted with new piston seal kits. I'm assuming the pistons would have been replaced too, if they were worn.

You can't tell the difference to look at them (other than the "X" in the part number), they look brand new.

They probably are brand new then, most exchange stuff is in my experience, distributers, water pumps etc I've bought in the past...

Also - did you get a price for the 288m calipers? they may not be much more(?) and even if they're exchange, they'd not notice the difference with the old ones coming back (no part numbers)

Kinda hard to fit 288mm calipers to 280mm disks and carriers...!

And, I'd be surprised if VW are stupid enough to sell new kit as refurbed. It often does go back to the factory, and it *looks* like new, but it's not.

had the caliper in bits on my lunch break today and copper slipped all the runners etc,the caliper went together quite smoothly,they dont seem to be binding at the mo but only time will tell!

i,l have to price up 16v calipers this week in case all is not well!

would anyone know if porsche 911 calipers could be made to fit??if im payin for calipers i,d rather upgrade em in case my plan for more power comes off!!

im on 7.5 x 17 wheels with 37 offset.

is it just a case of carriers and discs?? then its a case of how big discs go in four stud i suppse??i belive they,re designed for 300mm discs?

no, somethimgs amiss!! iv e had the brakes off,coppers slipped anything that moves and theyre still baking up and it reaks! anyone know the best place for replacement calipers?? any upgrades anyone could suggest??

cheers boys n girls!!

I stand corrected:

my refurbed calipers came from VW yesterday, and Vince swears blind they are brand new, not refurbs. He says that's fairly common. They even had a brand new Audi V6 engine block from Audi on a "refurbed part" price tag.

Well.. sometimes if you buy an exchange part, you get a (obviously) refurbed one. It's not *always* the case that you'll get a new one. But it seems it's more common than I gave it credit for.