need some ideas/advice for my G60 drag car

i will be running around 300+bhp and still need to uprate the gearbox and diff

the options i have at the mo are

rebuild g60 box using VR internals and a pelequin diff

or

quaiffe 6 speed box

or ?? any other boxes out there that i could use ,

also what are the advantages of straight cut gears and seqential shifters

but i don't really want to be spending all the cash on the original box and then it brakes when i start givin it some

A VR box and quaife/peloquin is good for up to 350....might need a stronger clutch if you're dragging it frequently.

Or as mentioned, a tdi box. Ratios might not be suitable though.

The advantage of straight cut gears is they can handle a lot more torque and most true sequentials are straight cut with dog engagement....in other words it's a crash box, you don't need the clutch on the up changes...so can save you loads of time on the 1/4.

They're very noisy (think A series mini) and not the best for commuting.

VR box = G60 box with a different final drive ratio, 2nd gear ratio and bell housing... The internals are, otherwise, identical, so the G60 box is just as strong as a VR box... 8)

If you're that worried about strength, go for a MKIV/V box as they're 3 shaft design rather than the original Corrados 2 shaft. However, they're heavier and will need custom driveshafts and the rear subframe modifying to make it fit...

As it is, I'm aiming to be near to 300bhp in the not too distant future and am pretty sure the only thing that'll need doing transmission wise is all new CV joints as the old ones have 165K miles on 'em and are getting a little loose! ;) :lol: FYI, I'm running a 260K mile G60 box which has been reconditioned by Vince at Stealth with all new bearings and seals and had a Quaife LSD and VR6 2nd gear fitted too... 8) I am considering changing 5th to be a bit longer as motorway cruising is a little loud at the moment...

If I was going to do my rebuild again, I'd probably go for a 20VT 6 speed box, with a lower final drive ratio and an LSD (either Quaife or Peloquin) with custom bits mentioned before... ;) 8)

if you look at the 20vt 6 speed stuff. you will need to get the matching fly wheel. clutch and they are fooking heavy. custom strong mounts. and hydraulic clutch. also the speed sensor is different. oh and you need the gear selector off the box. ( they have a habbit of being taken off and not sold with box.?) also because the input shaft is so big. it may need the crank machining down.?

You may aswell stick with a g60 box, because if it goes wrong its only £150 for a replacement from a breakers. At £150 a time you can afford to go through one now and again. If you went for anything else and had problems with it, the cost of replacment would probably be huge. Also if you fitted an LSD to an 02A g60 box and it threw a couple of gear teeth. I think you'd be very unlucky if your LSD got damaged as there sealed.

MK4 O2J box which is apparently a bit stronger than the 02A is a direct swap for the 02A in a G60. The earlier ones use the same shift tower and cable shifters, on the later ones you have to change the cable changer but it has a much shorter throw than the O2A one anyway. On the later O2J you also need to swap the output flanges so they bolt up to the original driveshafts.

The only 6Spd box you can fit is from a Seat as VW dont do a 6Spd FWD car and the 4WD box is harder to fit due to different mounts and massive transfer box.

I'm running over 300LB/FT though my O2J and its fine, although the original clutch has just gone so am fitting a VR6 one.

If you are planning on lots of drag racing then you will defiantly want an LSD.

You need 100mm flanges to match up to g60 drive shafts. I think most 02j boxes come with 108mm flanges. The 02j 100mm flanges (fitted to non-turbo 20v boxes I think) are about £108 a pair last time I checked with VAG. 02j flanges are different to 02a ones as they are spring loaded and bolt into the diff. I’ve found they give slightly better traction because the spring reduces slip very slightly.

I'm not convinced that the internals in a 02j are stronger from that of most 02a. The designs are almost identical apart from flanges and shifter. I have an 02a final drive and third gear in my 02j box. The gears and other parts are interchangeable and many 02j parts have 02a part numbers. Also, very early 02a boxes (manufatured early 89, first run of 02a's) have smaller crown wheels studs which can cause problems (snaping and shooting out of the gearbox case), but in most 02a boxes and all 02j's these studs are bigger and stronger. (same part numbers too)

I have an early 02j shifter on my box that connects directly to the g60 cables. It’s definitely a better gear change. Whether this is because the box is fresher or the effect of the 02j counter weight I don’t really know.

EDIT*

I think the benefits of getting an 02j box are, the availability of low mileage ones, better feeling shift mech and the very slightly better diff.

The problems are getting the correct flanges and getting either an early 02j shifter or modifying a late shifter to take g60 gear cables.