Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Any tips / help before i take my head off?

Rite guys within the next few weeks i will be swapping my head over for a gas flowed big valve head ( G60 ) now after a bit of research i ve decided to do this in the following manor - Take of old head and bits, transfer parts i need across from old head, (inlet ,new gasket etc etc), i am going to set the bottom end at 108 degrees as stated to do so for my camshaft (Piper 270 with vernier pulley) using the timing disc. with the bottom end set at 108 degrees from TDC i then intend to set the inlet cam lobe? at full lift etc hopefully this will get me to a stage where i can put everything else back together and get it running to a stage where i can get it to g-werks for daz to have a look at maybe?? the only other thing i am not to sure about is the other cog connect to the cam belt which is i assume the drive for the dizzy what position does this need to be in?

Anything else i need to consider when carrying all this out, feel free to tell me :)

Cheers

Mike

can anyone tell me about what i should do with the position of the distrbutor when putting all the this back together, bearing in mind the way i will be setting it up? as explained above. is the third pulley on the cam belt side the drive for the dizzy?

Regards

make sure that all the other marks are lined up, cam and crank, then position the little notch on the top of the oil pump, you can see it if the dizzy is out. make it horizontal, like the engine, transverse so to say, then put the dizzy in, you should be able to adjust where the notch on the dizzy is by twisting as to get the timing right.

yes that pulley is for the alternate shaft, drives the dizzy.

i take it your saying i should time it using the timing marks as suggested in my manual although as i have a vernier pulley wont all that be out anyway? hence why using the timing disc and setting the bottom crank at 108 degress etc etc? then again it might just be a case of it being out a tooth or 2 when it comes to the final tune up if i where to go by the timing marks? i dont really know what route to take seeing as this is the first time i ve done something like this 8)

Thanks for your help, atleast now i have a better idea on how i am going to approach this now! now i just gotta hope i dont make a cock up of it all :)