Sign in to follow this  
VWci

Converting 2.0 16v brakes to G60 brakes....

What do i need to change in 2.0 16v corrado front brakes to g60 brakes ?

Do i only need dics and calipers ?? and is it easy swap ? ....

cheers...;)

Is it a straight forward swap? Just sent my Dad down to the scrappy (he was going anyway :lol: ) to look for a set 8)

Yes, straightforward, remove calipers from carriers as normal. Then the carriers un bolt from the hub, re-assemble all new items and bleed!

Theres no tweaking or modifying of any components, they are all interchangable.

I thought the calipers were the same and it was just the carriers and the discs that were needed? My 'rat originally had 256mm fronts and was converted to the 280mm by the previous owner - he said all he changed were the carriers and the discs...

I'm also using MK3 calipers with G60 280mm disks. I have had to buy new hydraulic hoses as the calipers have a banjo fitting on instead of the screw in type fitting.

My Mk3 calipers had the thread fitting, not banjo!

I had to replace the calipers too, because the discs are thicker. The only way I could get away with using my original calipers (which I wanted too do) would have been to file some of the friction material off the pads - not at all ideal.

My Mk3 calipers had the thread fitting, not banjo!

I think they changed over around '95ish. Anybody with VR6 have banjo fittings on theirs as well?

I always thought it was the 288s that had the banjo fitting and all the 280s were threaded.

It is possible to use the 16v calipers but not ideal at all. You can either machine the caliper to take the disc and pads or you can just change one pad at a time and when it wears a bit replace the other side. Or as mentioned get the pads skimmed by 1mm each when new. Definitely far from ideal and I wouldnt use it myself. G60 calipers and carriers arent dear these days anyway. Loads of them now running around on Brembos so should be easy to pick up.

I always thought it was the 288s that had the banjo fitting and all the 280s were threaded.

I think the early 8V mrk 3s had the threaded fittings the later 16Vs had the banjos.