Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

engine rebuild needed

my vr6 started missing today,took the plugs out one by one cleaned them but when i got to the dreadedno6 it was oiled up pretty bad,gave it a quick clean and it was ok,so now im looking at bottom end rebuild,anyone know how much i would be looking at or would i be better off buying a 2.8 bored out to 2.9 from tsr?thing is it doesnt smoke on cold start up but if im coasting down a hill in 5th say then put my foot down then i would get a puff of smoke

thing is it doesnt smoke on cold start up but if im coasting down a hill in 5th say then put my foot down then i would get a puff of smoke

Sounds like top end rather than bottom...

Head off & new valve stem oil seals and guides???

See scott's thread(s) about his smoking habit :D :D

Hi dazzy, agree with stormseeker more likely to be a top end job. You coming to Woburn or taking it to bits then?

Oh dear, not the dreaded number 6 :(

Vince at Stealth has seen many VR engines with premature bore wear on number 6. The reason for this is as yet unknown. Only way to be sure is a strip down and inspection I'm sorry to say.

Kev

Hi Dazzy

I had a full engine rebuild about 7months ago anything that could be renewed was done? in total it cost me about £1600 inc vat and labour and that was done by my local ex VW mechanic in portsmouth, i hope this gives you some idea of the cost.

Nigwell :)

thing is it doesnt smoke on cold start up but if im coasting down a hill in 5th say then put my foot down then i would get a puff of smoke

Sounds like top end rather than bottom...

Head off & new valve stem oil seals and guides???

See scott's thread(s) about his smoking habit :D :D

Cheeky git *;)

You have a valve guide problem there mate.... whip the head off and get it re con'd .... nowt wrong with bottom end!