Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Clunking...

Well, yet ANOTHER noise for me to worry about with this car. Seems like something goes wrong every time I get in the fucker.

OK, my car has a solid front mount from EIP, don't think it's very old (I can't be assed to look for the reciept), and when I pull away/change from first to second I get a horrible clunking noise and you can feel it through the dash. Has anyone had this problem/similar problem/any kind of engine clunking problem/feels like battering the shit out of the car when YET SOMETHING ELSE goes wrong?

The noise is much worse when i pull away, if I am uber-careful with the clutch it won't make the noise, but otherwise it seems like it's as soon as you effectively de-clutch....

Please help. I can get it checked out on monday when I get my tracking done, but I wanna put my mind at ease.

iv got a mate who has a vr6 and his makes a weird clunk now and again when he goes from first into second thrashing it, doesnt happen a lot tho

when it clunks, its gear stick seems to pop out of first to neutral almost on its own when hes caining it

Yes I have a similar problem but unfortunatley I dont know the answer.

When pulling away in 1st or changing from 1st to 2nd, I have to be v gentle on the releasing the clutch for a reasonably smooth change otherwise its jolts and makes a clunk noise, other changes are fine.

My C has always been like that.

Be interested to know peoples opinions.

Ad

had this problem in a fiesta and it was one of the engine mounts dunno which one though, sorry.

Think it would be the best place to start looking anyway...

Andrew

See if your front engine mount is loose, that's the first way to eliminate that. If not it could be top mounts or worn inner CV joints. The fact that it pops out of gear suggests excessive engine movement though.

See if your front engine mount is loose, that's the first way to eliminate that. If not it could be top mounts or worn inner CV joints. The fact that it pops out of gear suggests excessive engine movement though.

I agree.. It would also be worth checking that the thread hasn't been torn from the engine mount as i have seen this over the last few months on some of the cheaper/non branded mounts available

Its not my car that pops out of gear, it has never done that...

I had a look under the bonnet this morning while blipping th ethrottle on and off and didn't notice excessive engine movement.......strange. And worrying.

I have the same problem in my car.

I replaced the front engine mount, which was broken in two.

The annoying noise remains, i believe it could the gearbox mount, because the noise seems to come from there.

The same noise/vibration is heard and you can feel in all over the car even with the car parked and the engine running.