Sign in to follow this  
oilman

Why oils lose viscosity with use

There is a Fuchs factory not far from my house in stoke, it used to be Century oils. It always makes me laugh when i see fuchs lubricants, sounds like something that you'd find in ann summers

I rebuilt the bottom end 12k ago to standard spec, the head will be getting bigger valves and port work shortly, everything else is just bolt on, chip & 68mm pulley etc. It gets used quite a lot ATM and caned quite regularly but once my van is back on the road it will be mostly doing short journeys with a good thrashing at the weekends.

If anyone wanted to know a little more about viscosity etc. The company I work for make high end Lube oil test equipment, including viscometers (don't worry, I'm not looking to sell anything - the equipment is generally used by ships and is several thousand £ each...).

Kittiwake

I rebuilt the bottom end 12k ago to standard spec, the head will be getting bigger valves and port work shortly, everything else is just bolt on, chip & 68mm pulley etc. It gets used quite a lot ATM and caned quite regularly but once my van is back on the road it will be mostly doing short journeys with a good thrashing at the weekends.

I'd look at Silkolene PRO S 10w-50 as a good option.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/PRO ... 0Wheel.pdf

Cheers

Simon

Very informative oilman, Its good to have someone on here with a sound technical know how and who obviously enjoys the field in which he works.....can you imagine going to a VW parts desk and asking about long molecular chain shearing and viscosity indices? Come to think of it you'd be lucky if they can produce 5L of anything except hot air

Sadly you're right, there's advice and there's proper advice.

You can't beat good technical advice backed up by proper explanations that's why we decided 2 years ago that most of what we read on the internet was "pub talk" with no foundation or technical knowledge.

That's why we're here!

Cheers

Simon