Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Brakes on fire

Dazzy, cheers mate. They sorted me just the 2 conversion pipes rather than buying a whole kit.

Still waiting for my callipers, so her ass is still in the air and im still in mums 86 audi coupe. Not all bad as its only done 41k, and its about 50 times more torquey than my VR (until 3k anyway!)

I hate fecking brakes!! I didnt ni[p the old calliper back on hard enough either so im swimming in brake fluid in the garage now!

Hoofkngrahhh! OR MAYBE NOT! The mk4 callipers from uncle Vince fitt bootifully! As do the goodrich converters which look very nicely made also.

BUT! Will the banjo copper washers seal on one side, no they wont. Weepage and i just cant stop it, and id say its too tight now. Check all surfaces and were all sinny no scratches or dirt. Ironiclly, the grubby 11 yr old hard lines sealed up no worries, its the 2 brand spank surfaces on the banjo that wont seal!!

3 things in life i've found now that are certain (4 if you include my bad luck)

1. Small allen bolts on front brake callipers. silly people!

2. Copper washers never seal

3. Spring hose clips suck ..s!

It's worth putting new screws in for the sake of a few pounds.

Have to agree. I managed to get normal hexbolts in on one side (as I just don't think it was ever a good idea by VW to use rusty Allen bolts in an area prone to water ingress, ie. tyre splashing on wet roads).

I failed the MOT on the rear brakes this summer, despite my best attemptts to grease the point where the handbrake lever is located (water ingress, once rubber seal perishes, then rust etc.), but no, didn't help for too long. Had the MOT garage repair the thing, as I was too bl**dy angry with having failed on this crap rear caliper design. All they did was refurbish the calipers, fit new disks and pads, but they didn't change those b*stard Allen bolts on the left side, which is the main thing I failed on in terms of doing the job entirely myself. they actually re-used the old bolts :mad:

Once I had the Rado back again, I ripped out everything, replaced the rear calipers with Mk4 units, and replaced the re-used bolts with new ones. Admittedly they already start to rust as soon as you look at them :mad:

Anyone know of any good fastener places, where you can get stainless steel or galvanised stuff? Coventry has one, but I need to order in quantities of 1000s :roll:

Tempest

Theres a good company i use for nuts and bolts, called AHC in camberley, surrey

Says on the site they only do boxes of 50 or 100, but ALWAYS go in and they sell individual to me, so im sure with a phone call they will, or someone can buy a box and knock them out for few quid a set ;-)

Main site

http://www.ahc-camberley.co.uk/catalog/ ... p?cPath=32

Allen bolt section

http://www.ahc-camberley.co.uk/catalog/ ... 75&sort=1a

Andy