Sign in to follow this  
Neil L.

VR6 not starting....?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as my 94' VR is'nt starting! The starter is turning - power in the battery - BUT the engine is'nt firing! Put more petrol in the tank - just in case it was too low! Could it be the wet conditions - damp! If so what should i wd40 - plugs,leads etc. - are the plugs easy to remove to spray? Could it be my Cat1 alarm/immob. thats at fault - i recently experienced faults with the central locking, which is linked to the Cat1? Really i just want to know where to start looking?Cheers! :roll:

i dont think it'd even turn over if the immob was at fault. I had a simular problem recently and it turned out to be loose relays. take the fuse cover off and remove/reseat the relays and see if that helps.

they're the numbered box shaped things above the fuses, take the right hand side undertray out on the drivers side and you should see them, hope it works!

Hey Chris, did as u said and reseated the relays + fuses and low and behold it started! One thing though - theres a green and a blue connector in the fuse box thats not connected together - it looks as if they go together? What is this and should it be connected? Cheers!

Who'd have thought it! I've read 3 or 4 threads with simular problems/solutions when i was looking into why mine wouldnt start, must be a common vr fault?

not sure what those connections are mate, could be something to do with the alarm?

Bad news, the car ran for a bit then cut out! :( . Think its back to drawing board! It almost restarted soon after but now its back to where i was i'm afraid! Anyone got any ideas?

Tobe honest i cant hear a clear sound coming from the fuel pump on turning the key! Is'nt it supposed to "zzzzz" for couple of seconds then go off?

some do some dont, i cant actually hear mine 'zzzz'ing. It could still be a fault with the relays really, if reseating them fixed it for a bit its possible one of thems sticking. most likly the fuel pump relay which I belive is numbered '52'. When I looked at mine however there are 3 '52' relays and I'm not sure which is for the fuel pump! probably best to check with a vw dealer and buy the correct one for the fuel pump before going any further, I dont think they're too pricey.

Neil i had the same problem on my 94 vr6 last year. It was a dodgy relay (109 - ECU). To start the car I had to pull out 109 and plug it back in. The car would start but if you flicked the top of the relay the engine would cut out (coil breaking down hence lack of pull to hold the contact)

Replaced relay 109 (part £10 from stealers) and no problems to date.

Thanks all but it turned out tobe the fuel pump fuse! :D When i first checked this it seemed OK - just a little bit of blackness! Sorted!

Cool - make sure you carry a couple of fuses with you and if it happens again the change the pump unit... (I assume the filter is recent?)