Sign in to follow this  
Beetlebug_2001

Drilled airbox

Hi getting my first corrado this week after years of waiting for the prices to fall in to my budget, just wondering about drilling the airbox i keep reading about has anyone got any pics of where you drill the air box cos i aint got a clue, and does it require any tune ups or reseting of anything when its been drilled? it will be a 1.8 16v, any help would be great

with all the new aftermarket stuff out there, i wouldnt drill the air box......id take it off, put on a high flow filter. the new ones have "walls" on them to keep the heat from the engine away from the filter. might see a much great increase in power with the oem air box gone. the filter kits arent that expensive and look at it this way.......it will be the first of many mods to come :twisted:

Wanted to drill the airbox as a short term thing to make it sound nicer until i scrape the money together for a nice induction kit, asked about induction kits before with no reply, does anyone know any companys that make induction kits for corrados and if they are any good or any good universal ones?

I think Cheesy had an induction kit fitted to his 16v.

It was made by a Dutch company, if you send him a mail I'm sure he'll be glad to answer any questions.

As for drilling the box, dead easy, it'll take you about 45 mins.

I think there's a document on the American Corrado Club's website.

VW Corrado Club of America

Give the airbox a good clean out with carb cleaner while you have it dismantled.

The only thing to remember is to drill the holes ONLY on the front and the wing facing sides of the box. Otherwise it can ingest dirt from outside.

Fitting a K&N Airfilter's also a good idea.

your right Mike, i had eurotek induction kit on mine.

The actual fit to the air meter was good and the quality it was made with but, it didn't fit properly, dented me bonnet. in my eyes the fittment was poor.

the ammount it cost i wasn't impressed

Make a nice sound but didn't really make much difference.

took it off, lays in the garage.

drilled my airbox and fitted a K+N filter now

Beetlebug_2001 - the VW Corrado Club of GB Scottish region website has a great article on doing this mod - http://www.kf010a4571.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Go to the downloads section on the site.

I've done this mod to my 2.0 16V - it sounds awesome when you floor it (great for scaring pedestrians!). You wont notice much improvement on performance though.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

Thanx for the links guys really appretiate it, checked on them companys that someone said make induction kits and they dont make them for the 1.8 16v, get corrado this weekened cant wait, ill post some pics up when i get it home.

Can you do the drilled air box to the VR6??

Beetlebug_2001 were abouts in Teesside are you??

Cheers Guy.

macca, you car drill the air box or a VR. I know Joe M has done it. Well he's taken it to the next level :twisted:

Sounds brutal :lol:

Done the same on my G60's airbox and my MKI 16V Golf's too... Great noise they make now! :D I may have gone a bit excessive with my Golf's box... there's only a little bit of the lower box left now! :roll:

Just remember that Dremmels are your friend! :lol:

I grew up in Billingham, nights behind the tech drinking cider.

Whats happening to the polo??

Polo's up for sale m8 (think its a mk3 not a mk2, 92 j), getting corrado this weekend should give me some spare cash to throw at it when it sells, anyone intrested in a little polo for the wife or girlfriend?

Used to go drinking round the back of northfield school and down sandy lane if u heard of them, oh those where the good old days.

So your the one :lol: Mam lives just of sandy lane !

We lived on Lutton cresent then. I used to go to Brunner, what a shit school.

Tell me more about the polo, whats it like and how much you after. Am looking at one to night, after a cheap runner to keep the VR looking good (respray would be better :lol: )

Cheers Guy.

Thanx for the links guys really appretiate it, checked on them companys that someone said make induction kits and they dont make them for the 1.8 16v, get corrado this weekened cant wait, ill post some pics up when i get it home.

Hi!

I also have a 1.816v and have been searching about for an induction kit but according to various resources you cant use them on the 1.8 due to the set of the air meter and various other technical gubbins on the air intake system.

Hence everyone just cuts a big hole in the airbox, the sensors dont know any different then!

To prove this i had the tinyest of splits in the rubber tubing going into the inlet manifold, and it made the C run well rough and stall when cold. At first I thought it was the cold start valve and nearly spent a load on replacing it! Seems like the 1.8C has a sensitive air intake system!

having said all that let me know if you do find an induction kit, and more importantly if it fits and works!

aaron