Sign in to follow this  
bighairymuppet

any help? belts alternator 16v. now ratchety noise

belt now changed. ratchety noise further help needed. plz see later post

assistance please: belts the one coming off the alternator 16v

Can comeone please confirm the name of this as im not sure. Id call it a fan belt. This has broke on my way home from work (broken part sv8 10 950 i think its kinda worn). :oops:

I noticed its ribbed does it have to be ribbed?

I have a spare belt (non ribbed) part no c00 060 90 137 contitech fo 9,5x1013 la 147 is this the right part as i though it was a fan belt but it seems bigger (unless the belt split in 3 places and ive lost a bit).

Any help would be greatful the cars a 1,8 16v also any help on how to adjust the pulleys to get the new belt on would be greatful. thanks

ps couldn't find this when searching.

I've just changed the belts on my 1.8 16 valver.

The belt you are reffering to is the alternator belt.

In order to fit that belt you have to remove the shorter power steering belt in front of it and i can tell you it can be a bit of a bummer to do.

I would recommend unbolting all the bolts on the power steering pump and it's bracket because it seems to be the only way you can move the pump pulley enough to give you room to get the alternator belt past it.

Both belts on the earlier C are V belts

is ther any other way of doing this without unbolting all the bolts on power steering pump and it woul appear i only have two belts unless im mistaken (its a bit dark to look)

oh arse.

anyone else able to doublecheck im thinking of agreeing with supercharged about it being too long but its to go round 3 pulleys so i may be wrong.

Also anyone know about whether it has to be ribbed or not thanks

The belts i fitted were pattern parts ...Motorcraft i think.....i can post you the part numbers for those tomorrow if that's any help

im going hunting today ive found the spec in my manual hopefully ill get the right one i jsut found out the spare i have is actually one part no out a 0 instead of an 8 and is almost the right part no for a g60 part.... stupid garage.

im going hunting today ive found the spec in my manual hopefully ill get the right one i jsut found out the spare i have is actually one part no out a 0 instead of an 8 and is almost the right part no for a g60 part.... stupid garage.

depending on the chassis no. some kr engined 1.8 16v's have the early style waterpump idler pulley others have the later 2.0 16v style belt arrangement where the ps belt is separate and the alternator one actually drives the waterpump, so the belts are different lengths, If you have two pulleys on the waterpump (the inner being the idler pulley) you have the earlier golf 2 16v size belt 86-90 which is 950mm I think.

to remove the PS/waterpump belt first remove the tensionning bolt/adjuster on the PS bracket,

then slacken the hinge bolt where the PS bracket pivots, where it attaches to the bracket that sits on top of the waterpump and below the alternator.

then slacken the two bolts that are on the ps bracket and enter from the gearbox end towards the ps pulley, one is clearly visible under the car (13mm) and has a thick washer under it, the other needs a long socket extension and is hidden inside the bracket just above or inline with the ps hoses, fiddle to get at.

what you don't need to do is remove the 3 bolts that actually hold the long plate bolted to the face of the pump, these can stay fixed.

you will then be able to swing the pump close enough towards the crank pulley to just pop the belt off, then swing it back the other way and you'll have clearance to get the alternator belt off/on.

the diagram attached is not totally correct as it's a generic drawing and some of the corrado brackets look a bit different, but the red arrows show where the bolts to slacken fix through from the right into the pump body and the green is simply one of the bolts shown.

the other arrows show the adjuster (remove) and the hinge/pivot point nut which needs slackening too.

HTH

David.

having changed my belt im now greeted to a ratchety noise when i try to start it and i think my starter motor is under strain.

Waterpump? it was working fine before the belt snapped.

Belts too tight?

Airlock? have no idea im really clutching at straws coz im hoping i dont have to do a pump change. dont think im good enough a mechanic for that and i aint the money to spend.

Any ideas/help appreciated, I've ran out of time to work on it further for today . thanks

davidwort you werent kidding about that nut being fiddly. ta.

ok update: loosened off both ps belt and alt belt and retightened slowly.

Now no noise... so must have been too tight.

PS belt slipping on full lock though and wont adjust well enough to stop so time for new PS belt i think.

Changing that tommorow.

For info:

costs -

alternator belt £4

ps belt £3.

Will keep people updated iun hope that this will help someone else.

changed ps belt as no matter how much adjustment i did it wouldn't stay tight. watch out for v type shape wear on your belts as this make it slip and move in the pulley stopping it form gripping..

close thread