Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

How to remove white nut on fuel pump/sender assembly?

OK, after another good use of my fuel pressure gauge gadget on my G60 fuel rail, I can now safely conclude that the most likely reason for my starting/stuttering problems are an ageing fuel pump.

As I have already had an attempt at getting the thing out of my tank (single in-tank fuel pump) I couldn't get that blasted white locknut off. Tried hammering it off with a chisel/screwdriver, but to no avail, haven't got a water pump with big enough jaws :x

What tool do I need? Tempted to just break it off, as it's only a few quid from the stealers :roll:

Tempest

I watched Vince do this on kevhaywire's fuel tank a few weeks back and thats basically all he did. Yours must be on super tight as a few stern whacks with big chisel and a rubber mallet and it started to go..

Try putting a hot towel in a stout plastic bag round it (heavy duty shopping bag?) and see if it will expand relative to the tank threads. Leave it there for about 5mins for the heat to absorb into the plastic. Then see if it will give.

try using an oil filter remover,the bar and chain type,worked great for me

Was thinking that myself, will have to check again, whether I have enough clearance around the nut to insert the chain and socket.

Yours must be on super tight

You bet, it's usually the seemingly simple things that go horribly awry on my cars :lol:

Tempest

u need some Spinach Eric!

Believe you me, already tried that :lol:, otherwise I wouldn't be asking here for help ;-)

Will try some of the suggestions as soon as I find some time (back home again, weather fine, not dark out there, etc. :lol:)

Tempest