Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Fuel Pressure regulator

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to fit the FPR and show me a pic of where its located?

I have got a SnS chip fitted with a 68mm pulley. I am going down tot jabba sport to get it remapped. However i was advised i needed a 3.5bar fpr due to the extra fuel that is beign fed.

There is a 4 bar FPR for sale on ebay. Would this be ok or better? or should the 3.5 bar fpr be fitted?

Any Advice i would appreciate :?

Isnt the FPR just the fuel pump with a dif name and 3.5bar would obv will provide more pressure.

Thanks

Keep your FPR standard 3bar. If you need more fuel then uprate the injectors to bigger items such as 300cc reds. We do not like to map cars with aftermarket FPR's as it causes complications with the spray pattern the injectors produce and puts extra stress on the injectors making them more prone to failure.

If you are going to spend your money on anything buy a new OE fuel pump to ensure you have enough fuel being delivered to the rail.

FPR = Fuel pressure regulator.

If you look in your engine bay towards the back, there's a thin vacuum pipe that comes off the front left face of the inlet manifold which bends down and connects onto a round block which is attached to the end of the fuel rail. On the bottom of this block is a fuel pipe which runs over to the rear left of the engine bay... this block is your FPR.

Your fuel pump runs at around 4.5bar (IIRC), the FPR simply is a diaphram which allows any pressure over it's rating (in your case 3bar) to return to the fuel tank along the fuel line connected to the bottom of it.

Which SNS chip did you buy, and was it new? The new SNS chips are designed to use the standard FPR, the older ones tend to use the 3.5bar one... sticking a 4bar on it will just screw up how your engine runs...

Call Bilal (number on http://www.snstuning.co.uk ) with the number printed on the chip and ask him which FPR should be used with it, he'll be able to tell you the spec and setup that the chip has a map for so that you can set your car up properly... 8)

ah right ill have a look for the FPR goign by the description you gave me, By any chance its not a black cylindrical shape is it. Bolted under the lip of the engine bay at the back?

I bought the chip from banana man from the forum, who ensured me it was a SNS chip but didnt say which one. Its jsut a blank black chip. Didnt notice any serial number on it or anything. Id need to check. The car is just running poop at the moment, Its jolting alot hesitates all the time. Doesnt seem like theres any power until the revs get up to 2k and the revs sometime drop below 900 and then back to idle which is 1000-900 (depending if car is warm). when car is first started itll idle at 1000rpm then when ive been driving and engine is warm it idles at about 900.

If it is the chip out of the ECU that was in his old yellow car and is the one for the higher compression 1.9 engine then that map will not really be suitable for use in a 1781cc low comp engine. Are you running the orginal injectors?

As far as im aware it was from his yellow one, itd make sense seen as he was breaking it. Yeah im running the original injectors. So what do i do next get a new chip? Sounds the best idea. Will i still need to get the car remapped? Is it ok running that chip until i get a new one. Its been in a couple of month already. Car feels cr*p. I can be behind a calibra and it pull away from me. Car has no acceleration and not a lot of torque.

Advise away peeps!

Cheers everyone

That chip has fueling maps for 300cc injectors and the ignition curves will be wrong for a 8:1 compression engine as our rebuilds are 9:1. Yor car will feel slugish as it is running too lean as the duty cycle of the injectors is too low for the green 250cc OE injectors and not enough fuel is being supplied.

I would advise getting a chip suitable for your set up or getting a custom remap. We only remap cars when the owners have done all the engine modifactions that they plan to do. If you have a flowed head or cam then 300cc injectors are a good idea.

It's not the chip with the red top map steve, it's the green top mapped chip that I sold him but I cant remember if it had the coding for the 3 bar fpr or the 3.5bar. I was running it with the 3.5bar as that only came out of the car once we had fitted the 1.9 lump in it.

Critical_Mass If you want a 3.5bar fpr I still have the one from my corrado just drop me a pm if your interested!

cheers

Ant