Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

About to give up on this VR....:(

Not realy a Corrado Question sorry, but hope it's ok to ask anyway (as it's a VR6)

Have had quite a few problems with this VR6, it's a 1991 model passat vr6.

It's got a distributor, have checked the wiring and that seem fine, had trouble with this before but after I changed some wires the engine ran fine.

Have changed the distributor cap, rotor, ignition leads, spark plugs.

The car seem to get both fuel and ignition, still won't start.

Sometimes I can hear it's about to fire, very slowely it seem like it's going to fire for about 2-3 seconds, then it drops down again.

Also hear it sometimes fires in the exhaust but guess this have to do with the engine beiing flooded when I crank it so much without start.

Al I get in VAG-com is the speed sensor intermitent, but have tried another one wich I think is ok, also both those sensors have the right resistance when I measure that.

Also tried another ignition switch from my other B3 but still same.

Anyone have any idea what this can be caused by, I'm still hoping it could be fixed but I'm about to give up on it....

The car earlier had problms with random stops (wich turned out to be due to bad grounds (atleast I think so)), and I was able to drive the car about 400 Km before it went to a stop and never started again.

(Also tested with another battery and charged the normal battery).

Thanks in advance.

Could this be a bad ECU (if so is it possible to check it in anyway?)

EDIT: Also when I measured the compression on the cylinders all seem to be very good, all within 12-13 bars.

Thanks in advance!

VAG-COM will always say Speed Sensor if the engine isn't running..

yea I know, but it usually say "no signal", this one no says "intermitent" (also it doesn't seem possible to scan this car while it's running)...:(

That could be an earth...

Have you tried new fuel pump and ECU relays?? New Blue temp sender?

Probably unable to do a pressure test on the fuel pump but have you changed the filter recently?

Being a dizzy model i doubt there is an inbuilt imobiliser (chipped key) but do you have an after market one??

I'd also try your ECU in another car...

What mileage is it on?? - just wondering as some Passats VR's have been known to do very high mileage - just wondering if the chains have jumped a tooth or two...

EDIT - you've not tried another dizzy??? - sounds like a dead hall sender!!!

Just thought I'd give a little info on what was wrong.

It turned out to be a *very* stupid little error. Apparently the screw that holds the rotor had jumped off, the rotor was hanging loosley.

Put the rotor back where it should be tightened the screw, the car fired instantly....:)

Thanks again for the feedback....:)

Soon time to sell it so I can finaly get my hands on a C....:)