Sign in to follow this  
bighands

Another head gasket!!!!

Right, i did the head gasket 6-7 months ago, and yup, its gone AGAIN :mad: its blown between a waterway and oil way i think, cos only the water sems to be contaminated with angel delight :)

I refuse to do it again, and think if i can get hold of a fairly low milage 2.0 complete engine, im gunna just dump that in! so have few questions,

1. how much would be a fair price be for a 2.0 complete engine, just bottom and top end?

2, roughly how many hours is it going to take my mechanic to do the swap, so i can get rough cost!

3, why the hell has it blown AGAIN!!!!

4, what else should i bung in while its in a million bits again? (clutch was done 5-6000 miles ago)

5, is this related to it getting hot below 40ish MPH the past couple of days?

6, how long do i have before it dies completly, cos i have to get to work for a week at least!!!!

CHEERS

ANDY

The overheating could easily be caused by a blown h/g. It may not have been such a problem above 40mph because of the extra cooling you get at that speed.

mmm, what i suspected, it started overheating, so i checked the oil, and there was the first few drops of the dreaded . . :(

I think thats very strange!!!

Get a new metal gasket, new head studs AND rectify the head.

Keep an eye on the temperature, something can be wrong and overheating may cause the blown gasket, not the other way around.

The only other way to blow a gasket is to have to much pressure (300 hp rado) or misfires, in witch case your gasket would be the smallest of your worries as it would probably melt a piston.

I've a metal head gasket and was able to melt a piston (on a G60 turboed rado) and the gasket survived!!

Ah, iv'e had it with this engine, its now seen as an excuse to upgrade the 2.0 way :) IF i can ever find one, rare as rocking horse sh*t it seems!!

Cheers tho fella