Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

Lumpy Boost or Something Else?

needing help now....

after having the car back on the road for 2 months now and replacing the accelerator (sp) cable and the fan switch in the radiator the car is running pretty damn well but......

ever since fitting the new charger and running it in correctly i find that when i put my foot down it feel like the car isnt going as quick as it should! to ad to this i find that sometimes, but not all the time, if i keep my foot to the floor the car suddenly gets an extra bit of a power surge from about 5k rpm up to the red line....... now from memory it used to pull well up to 5k and then tail off so im now feeling confused as hell. :?

plus i dont want to keep flooring it right to the red line as i know that it increases the chances of throwing scroll seals!

i have had all the boost pipes off, removed the intercooler and flushed it out, cleaned the butterflies in the throttle body, put a fuel system cleaning additive into the petrol tank and i have been running it on 99RON for hte past 2 weeks but with no change....... :(

im now pretty stuck an in need of more ideas of others in the know a bit more.... the only other thing that i think it may be is the black plastic chamber that attaches to the charger appears to be releasing some oil vapour onto the fan housing on the front side of the unit... would it affect the performance that dramatically though?

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

well that will be leaking boost then, i have similar problems but mine doesnt do it all the time. i can floor it and itl get to about 4k rpm then nothing then itl kick back in again and pull hard, i think ive got a leak just need to find it

i think it may be the black plastic chamber that attaches to the charger appears to be releasing some oil vapour onto the fan housing on the front side of the unit... would it affect the performance that dramatically though?

Correct - that is the source of your leak & yes it will cause power problems higher up the rev range.

Soloution - fit a RSR outlet. These are made from alloy & don't leak like the black boxes do.

griff, point me in the direction of your car bra! i want one seeing as the winter is in and its just had a respray :)

steve,

how much are they? i take it i get em from darren?