Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

sticky revs

Had a quick search before posting and I've cleaned the ISV but still getting this problem.

I've got a 92 G60 and the revs have a habit of sitting too high when I first start the car and also when it's up to running temp. So when I pull up a set of lights it sounds like I cant drive. The revs go back to normal but only if I hook my foot under the accelerator pedal and pull it up the way which is really annoying. I can't imagine it's helping my fuel consumption. Is there anyway to lubricate the throttle cable or is it simply a case of buying a new one?

Thanks in advance and apologies for bringing this up again.

Buy a new one ... the results will astonish and amaze you :)

No point renewing the old cable as a new one won't break the bank.

make sure you buy the rubber O ring that the cable clips into on the pedal's lever... they go soggy after a while which can stop you getting full throttle and can also allow the cable to drop out leaving you with a pedal on the floor and no throttle! :|

anyone got the part numbers and prices for these,mines doin the same

biggrimknow exactly what ya mean,its even better when your just pullin up at the traffic lights and it revs to about 3k the car at the side of you thinks your ready for racing,which can be a bit embarassing :oops:

Damn right g60greeny! And it's normally before the car has warmed up so you can't show 'em who's boss! I'm gonna get prices over the next few days.

Just off the phone to my local stealer! The parts will have to be ordered in (as usual) but it's only coming to £21 + V.A.T for both the cable and the rubber gromit. So quite a cheap fix @ just under £25 inc V.A.T. I'll just have to order it now and get it fitted asap.

Is it easy enough to fit then?

about a 10 minute job mate... 8)

Unclip the retaining clip from the throttle body and disconnect the cable (open the throttle slightly by hand and it'll go slack)

Go under the dash with a torch and you'll see a brassy coloured hook which goes through a rubber grommet in the back of the throttle pedal... unhook the cable and replace the grommet (probably the hardest part of the job which will almost certainly make you swear the most!)

Pull the cable back into the scuttle area and then out of the engine bay (I can't remember off hand which way it feeds through the firewall, but it's pretty obvious which way it comes out/goes back in 'cos it'll only fit one way due to the seals/grommets on it... 8) )

Refitting is the reversal of removal... 8) [/haynes]

Good luck!

I've just found the same problem with my throttle cable but it sems to fed between a plate and the bulkhead just above the wiper linkage......tried pulling the cable to the left and right but looks like the only way to remove it is to cut through it.

Should the cable be fed this way so it doesn't snag on the wiper linkage?

If so....how the heck am i supposed to feed the new cable through?

Sorry for hijacking the thread by the way.

it shouldn't go through the wiper mechanism... :| looks like someone's bodged yours when they fitted a new one in the past... :|

Any chance of a photo so we can see where you mean Valerian? 8)

it shouldn't go through the wiper mechanism... :| looks like someone's bodged yours when they fitted a new one in the past... :|

Any chance of a photo so we can see where you mean Valerian? 8)

just above the wiper mechanism there is some sort of metal panel....the cable is routed above that.

Probably won't be able to put any pics up untill the weekend coz it's always dark by the time i get home.....i'll take some pics Saturday when i change the cable

Replaced mine at the weekend - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It totally transforms how the car drives and no more revving mid change or whilst sat at traffic lights. The dealer had the cable in stock (shock horror) but not the grommet, it comes in on Tuesday, I just had to fit the cable. Had a nightmare getting the old one off, the cable has been replaced at some point and it was held in place with some interesting engineering. Thanks for the help guys.

As above just done mine and what an improvement on throttle response, It does take about 20 mins total as you need to take off all the plastic surrounding under the dash to get to this easily.

As I also forgot to order the bung I just turned the old bung around to an unwarn area.

For the price of a night out and anyone having a car older than 10 years I would recommend this change as a must.

p.s Thanks for the quick guide Henny