Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Rust removal

Ok so I finally got down to East Grinstead and parted with £850 for a Black 1990 G60...

That's the good news... the bad news is long, but the thing I'm wondering about right now is the rust removal (and the removal of a nasty looking clear stip on the bonet... at least it was clear 15 years back I guess)

So here's the question...

Am I best to do the rust repair myself (rub down, treat and respray) although I've never sprayed anything before in my life and would hate to make it look worse...

or... do you think it's worth getting somebody else to do the spraying. If so does anybody know a place that won't bite my arm off if I say the word spray... we're only talking a few areas really, but enough to make me concerned.

I'm in the Southend-on-Sea area.....

I owuld honestly say get someone else to do it unless you are competant at spraying. Spraying is hard to get it to look good and best left to the experts - and spraying from a can I've never seen a very good job done from a can.

best to get a pro to do it really,even if you did get rid of all the rust aerosol paint will only stop it reoccuring for a couple of weeks

funk

Yeah I'll try and get some pics up before it heads to G-Werks Saturday.....

I'll make some calls to a few locals about the spraying tomorrow then I guess. It's amazing how costs can spiral though >_

Wow.. funny how things happen...

I had to beat the guy down from £1400 (I think that's where he started) so I think I got a good enough bargain. Would have had more choice if I didn't want a LHD....

Ok here's a few pics...

The weather this morning is freezing so the car is all iced up on the pictures, making it look worse than it really is ;) honest.....

What a bargain!

But oh dear about that front wing. Can you find a new one (or scrap) cheaper ; compared to a guy tapping it out? Whats with the bonnet - yuk!

Are you getting the whole car done? The front strips, bonnet etc look tatty; but as you know the bumper won't rust - its plastic ;) (that could be filled & painted or just replaced - however the brackets behind might be bent)

In general, listen to everyone above; spraying is very hard to do your self; theres a nack to it (much like plastering). That front wing would be a real b*stid, as its curved and angled!

The actual preparation is easy; hacking out to bare metal and filling, then sanding down with emory paper can be quite theraputic; but Im sorry to say again that the spraying is near on impossible to DIY ; and thats assuming good warm weather - you cannot spray in this cold.

Also think of the cost of DIY; you need a spray gun, compressor and the paints. Then also filler and wire brush.

A pro will cost you to do a very nice job. Most will insist they do the preparation - which is fair.

How long do you want to keep the car?

What do you want the car for? - hacking around country lanes onto a building site or stables means you're better off to DIY. If you want a tidy motor, get it done by a pro.

The rust does not look bad, quite minor to the cills and I would hope there are no holes, meaning that DIY could be an easy option on those cills. You might want to touch up until you can afford a propper Pro Spray. Getting the whole car done in one go would be nice, no colour fades to worry about.

Otherwise - GREAT BUY 8)

Yeah was thinking about a new wing instead.... need to find some prices though.

Funny enough I think the damage to that wing has happened overnight (since I bought the car) as it wasn't that bad yesterday. Typical eh. At least it was on an already damaged wing :lol:

I got a quote by a local place for £300 for the front end respray. I'll have to get a comparison quote to make sure it's good.

Entire car spray overs can be about £600 to 800 ; but this is in the same colour.

To change colour, I've known mates to spend a couple grand; again its the preparation, undercoats etc.

So Id say £300 for a resprayed bonnet, bumper and wing is fine. Its about £80 worth of paint plus his time, which is his morning gone.

Other than cosmetics are you sure there aren't any other BIG cost items like exhaust/shocks/engine/charger ???

Well Darren at G-Werks will tell me on Saturday I'm sure....

I'm already looking at blowing £30 less than I paid for the car on servicing and a chip..... *Ouchy*