Sign in to follow this  
2cc

GOODRIDGE BRAIDED BRAKE LINES

OK guys I may be getting paranoid in my dotage but interested to know whether anyone else has the same concerns as me.

Stay with me here..I got a set for the VR at Inters but found that the screw in ends for the callipers were fitted with concave ends. Now I didn't like this because the bottom of the hole in the calliper is also concave - so for a good engineering fit the brake line should have a convex end - right?

Well , I rang Goodridge and they agreed with me. Sent me a new set with the right ends on. Fitted them and am very pleased - don't know if it's just in my mind but they just feel stronger if you know what I mean.

So I recently ordered a set for the 16v which arrived today. And the same thing with the calliper ends :( :? They are in the post back to Goodridge tomorrow.

Their man said he hadn't had any other C owner coming back to him with this problem. So my questions are:

Anyone else noticed the same as me?

Anyone else complained?

And for the qualified motor engineers out there - is it actually a problem?(the bloke at Goodridge said they'd squish down but that is anathema to my RAF engineering training and experience)

Or am I just an old fart? (pse keep replies in context) :lol:

Well this isn't the first time I have heard of problems with this braided brake lines from Goodridge.

I remeber John Munyard posting to the eGroup about a bit of a brown trouser moment where one of his Goodridge brake lines split or failed in some way.. just spent about 10 mins hunting for it, but here it is :

A strange statement I know, but true.

This afternoon I suffered a complete brake failure, caused when a

small split developed in one of my front brake hoses. The failure of

your brakes is not funny at any time, but at over 130mph it kinda

provides what can only be described a complete pant-filler.

Fortunately we managed to avoid an accident and thus am here and

hence the title of this post...

The hose failure was particularly annoying though, as the hoses were

braided type and were fitted less than 5 months ago. I think I will

be phoning the maker tomorrow to discuss...

John (happy to be here)

Maybe some kind of quality issues here?? John mentioned a few months earlier that they were Goodridge so...

I remember fitting goodridge hoses to my kit car, am sure i used copper washers on the banjo ends and srew in type, the crused washer (use once) forms the seal.

Might be better of with OE parts, just change them after a set time. I didnt notice any great difference with braided hoses, just looked good.

Cheers Guy

Yes you'd think the hose ends would be the mirror image of the caliper hole to ensure a snug fit!

I've heard of yet another problem with braided hoses - grit getting behind the stainless braiding and wearing throught the rubber hose. It's a rare one, but it has happened. Personally, I don't find the difference between traditional flexi hoses and braided ones great enough to justify the expense, fitting hassle.

I used to have them on my MK2 Golf and they did remove a small amout of pedal squish, but not enough to make you think, wow, what a transformation.

Kev

2CC, I have a set of braided hoses for my VR6 and they are in the boot of my car waiting to be fitted. Is the oackaging all the same? Is there a different part number as the hoses I got were only described as a 4 or 6 line kit obviously ours in the 6.

I got them from German and sweedish so my point is how do I know if they are right or wrong before I take the wheel off or do I have to take the wheel off and compare the ends?

You have concerned me as I was going to have them done this weekend. Please come back to me if you can.

Rams, oops you asked about packaging & part numbers. Packaging is pretty standard, I have the part numbers at home - will post tomorrow. As my pm said my server is about to go off.