Sign in to follow this  
bristolbaron

any probs fitting 6" wide alloys on a G60?

Just a quicky..

I'm looking at fitting a set of 6" wide alloys onto my G60 over the winter, until i get spangly wheels next spring. Just thought id check that the width is okay, i presume it should be as they were standard on the 16V, but thought i better check first!

Also, would 195/50 tyre profile be right?

Thanks

Baz.

Provided they don't have some crazy offset you'll be fine. I use 195/50s on my standard Sebrings with no problems because they offer the best economic value. If you've been driving on 17s for a while you'll definitely notice a difference in the way the car drives on 15s....for the better in my opinion! I put my 'winter wheels' on a year ago and they haven't been off since. I sold the 17s last month.

offset will be around 35.. they're bbs in VW fitment.

billinjahg60, must we watch everything the same on ebay!?!?! :lol:

cant complain for the money, they'll last the winter & tyres are cheap!

billinjahg60, must we watch everything the same on ebay!?!?! Laughing

lol! glad i got my borbets before you saw them!

Hmmm...I just assumed we were talking about 15s with the 195/50 tyre question. I can't tell if they're Solitudes or not!

They must be 15's if they were fitted to a G60, they do look like smaller solitudes in the pic as the spokes are not as long...

so speaking of handling and 17s. ive fitted some 17s to my G60 with 205/40 17 tyres, i find theres less grip up front when cornering while accelerating or while moving off.

billinjahg60, must we watch everything the same on ebay!?!?! Laughing

lol! glad i got my borbets before you saw them!

and im glad you bought those before spotting the ones i'm now bidding on! :lol:

so speaking of handling and 17s. ive fitted some 17s to my G60 with 205/40 17 tyres, i find theres less grip up front when cornering while accelerating or while moving off.

I wouldn't say I experienced less grip from the 17s, after all the tyre contact patch is larger; I can only assume that less grip is down to different tyres.

Instead I found the Corrado on 17s lacked acceleration, was less willing to turn and was in general more difficult to live with. I also found that the 17-inch wheels were much more sensitive to badly aligned steering geomety.

yes i experience lack of grip while accelerating harder then normal driving. When im turning a corner also while accelerating harder then normal, i experience light steering.

I would suggest getting your tracking checked. My Corrado felt like it was on ice during cornering on 17s with badly adjusted tracking.

make? size? they are 205/40 17s as for make ill get back to you in a bit.

Yeah when i bought the alloys they came with tyres and they felt has if they had no grip. But this as appeared to have gone unless youre accelerating like i said previous. Put it down to "wearing the tyres in" or something like that, cos they were new.

What you think? they look right or not?

I hit a deep pot hole in the road which dented the pass side front wheel, i wasnt happy seen as ive only had them 6 weeks. Which im in the process of claiming back from the council. AND guess what the stretch of road is now being resurfaced. Typical.

Ive got 4 soon to be 5 (spare) BBS multi-spokes for sale, the standard ones. All with tyres, albeit 2 have slow punchers (195/50 15s). They are in need of a good refurb. Any offers?

as it turns out they're 7" anyway. im really pleased with them, will do the job until spring. was planning on fitting 195/50's, is this still better on a 7" rim then 205?