Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

VR6 lowering

Hi all.

Was just wondering if it's possible to use H&R 30mm springs with the standard shockers? I've read quite a lot on here, but wanted to know if its possible. I am happy with the ride etc, just fancy it a wee bit lower and a smidgen stiffer....

PS. Can't remember who it was, but GOOD LUCK to the guy in court today for 87 in a 50 zone.

It should be possible but if you are fitting lowered springs you should really change the dampers to suit.

VR6, thanks. i think i will.

bit of a shame as the car came with 2 spanking new dampers included. thought i might be able to save myself a few quid.

in that case, anyone want a pair of OE shockers for a VR? new. never fitted. for the price of postage really...

Eibach do some springs designed for use with standard dampers, might be worth looking at their site. Not sure if they do ones as far back as the Corrado tho, except their normal sport springs..... my mate has them on his MK4 and they're very good.

i'm gonna out them and treat myself to a new set-up i think. i actually got my bonus this quarter (don't normally work hard enough) so why not.

ok, further question......

i want to stay on my 15s (personal preference) - so i cant really drop it much anyway - so is it worth going for coilies to get a really even height front to back, or should i just go for the TA / H&R set up?

so is it worth going for coilies to get a really even height front to back, or should i just go for the TA / H&R set up?

Up to you, the TA's with H&R's seem to give a really even setup on a VR anyway and the rear Koni TA's have a 5 position circlip height adjustment to match the fronts...

Then again, the FK coilovers are fairly well priced now and seem to give a similar ride...

Best bet would be to try and get a drive of cars with both setups. I am running Konis and H&Rs now but had coilovers on before and didn't like them; but it is all down to personal preference.

Budget for new top mounts as part of the work as well and I think you might new spring discs depending on when your VR was made but I am sure someone can fill in that blank for me.

cheers guys.

i think i'm gonna try the koni / H&R set up. seems to be the most 'comfortable' one mentioned on here.

i'm not an old grandad or anything, but i like me teeth! dont want it too much harder than standard.

cheers guys.

i think i'm gonna try the koni / H&R set up. seems to be the most 'comfortable' one mentioned on here.

i'm not an old grandad or anything, but i like me teeth! dont want it too much harder than standard.

as most will know late vr's have smaller spring plates fitted so when changing shocks you need larger ones as fitted to early cars, pt no.s - 1h0 412 341 vw call them concave washers hope this helps ?

when using coilovers on VR's are they specific to the heavier front end or is it "one type fits all"?

some people will say they are,but not according to koni,bilstein,spax..when i got my spax from demon tweeks they actually phoned up spax and asked them,and all they said was on the vr6 they reccomend using no16 click on the front and no 14 on the back

Why do you think that is? Cost of production.

H&R valve and spring rate their products to specific cars rather than offering generic products that work well on some cars and not others.