Sign in to follow this  
TREVR6

VR6 Insulated Intake Power Gasket, FOUND ONE LOOK AT PAGE 2!

Looking for an insulated intake manifold gasket for my VR6 but not having much luck, can get them easy enough for some other VW units but can't find a VR one anywhere, are they available, anyone got one?

Cheers

Trev

Yea not sure what they're made of, just know they're available for other cars, once witnessed a Civic get thrashed round the track and when he came in you could quite happily put your hand on the intake manifold. This has to be a good thing me thinks, try it on mine and you'll be visiting A+E :nurse:

Cheers Kev I'll get in touch with PhatVR6

Yeah I think the American 12V scene swear by 'plethonic spacers'. I think they're about 5 or so mm thick and the insulating properties of the spacer reduce heat transfer. They also thermal coat the manifolds too....

I think water injection is hard to beat for temp reduction without using intercooling, which I understand you can use on normally aspirated engines aswells as forced induction.

what benefit does water injection give on N/A engines??

couple of my mate got it on their cars (lysholm G60 golf and supercharged MX5)

ben

phenolic spacer.

it stops heat from the heat transferrig to the inlet manifold.

well, it's supposed to, but seeing as the manifold rund right over the top of the rocker cover......

fit a late spec VR plactic rocker cover, with a sheet of heat reflective wadding between that and the manifold.

also, take the coolant hoses off the throttle body and join them together (summer only mod)

I'll ask my US contact for a phenolic spacer to see if he can get you one.

I'll ask my US contact for a phenolic spacer to see if he can get you one

Cheers mate, much appreciated, yea also looking to insulate the rocker cover as you say, it's bound to help but I think heat transfer through the gasket is the main culprit.

Thanks again,

Trev.

I asked about water injection on N/A the other day and everyone said it does nothing? Im sure it must cool things like Kev said ?

Like the sound of the inlet mod! Yeah, leave the VR for 3 hrs after a run, open the bonnet and you could still fry an eg on the inlet!!

Ah I didn't realise the late VRs had placky rocker covers..... might have to investigate that.....

Nick, water injection won't do an awful lot in N/A engines, I've never tried it but Aquamist say you can use it. I suppose you could use a very fine jet at 5000rpm onwards to take the edge off the inlet manifold temperature, but not a huge amount else.

OK, anyone know where you can get one of these phenolic spacers for a G60 engine? Kinda been after one for a while after reading a document about them and keep on banging my head against walls trying to get hold of one... :|

OK, anyone know where you can get one of these phenolic spacers for a G60 engine? Kinda been after one for a while after reading a document about them and keep on banging my head against walls trying to get hold of one... Neutral

I bought mine off a mate who got it at a show - I'll have a look at it and tell you where it's from, IIRC it's from a german tuning shop...

water injection also increases the density of the charge and therefore the oomph!

It was widely used and developed on aero-engines - the cooling is a separate but equally useful benefit, especially for blown motors as you get the cooling AND the greater density - like driving on a permanently cold, thick foggy day.

Ah I didn't realise the late VRs had placky rocker covers..... might have to investigate that.....

yes, but they have bolts, which are integral to the cover. so you'll have to get a full set of bolts and a new seal with the cover.

also, you'll have to wind out all of your rocker cover studs.

it does make a difference, makes it quieter too as the plastic is a better sound deadener.

more OBD2 parts for you kev!

Be aware of the thickness of the spacer. What will work on a mk3 might not work on a Corrado due to the lack of space between the top of the intake manifold and the hood.

yes, but they have bolts, which are integral to the cover. so you'll have to get a full set of bolts and a new seal with the cover.

also, you'll have to wind out all of your rocker cover studs.

it does make a difference, makes it quieter too as the plastic is a better sound deadener.

more OBD2 parts for you kev!

Nice one, cheers for the advice!

The plastic rocker cover is £50 from the dealer, so not too horrendous. I did phone round a few breakers first but they only had metal ones.

I do want as much OBD2 stuff on the engine as possible. Not all of it is strictly necessary, such as the OBD2 plastic crank sensor for example, but if you're going to do it, might aswell do it right..... :-)

Found one and they do em for all vw lumps too :D

http://www.evolutiontuning.com/evolution.html

Be sure to read all notes carefully before purchase, if unsure email them they are a very helpful lot.

Apparently there have been some clearance issues between intake manifold and the bonnet (vr6) as RS VR6 says, but I have spoken to them and I reckon it will be OK! The gasket is 1/4" or 6.35mm thick and with the use of a bit of blue tack I think there should be clearance enough! Also they say that they have sold to other c owners and they have been OK!

Any way I've decided to risk it, I reckon it will clear OK, even with a VSR, and I thought as my bonnet already has a broken front engine mount dint in it, my car would be the perfect guinea pig! Also the VSR with it's name plate sits higher than the standard manifold, so if it's OK on mine it should definitely be OK on yours! Dunno about Schrick owners though!

Oh yea there is a small bit of alternator butchering to do as well but that doesn't look too bad, just a few mm to grind off to clear the first manifold bolt. (see photo)

Should arrive from America in a week or so, I'll let y'all know how I get on!

Cheers Trev

Oh yea they said to add US$25 p+p, quite reasonable I thought. :D

Arrived today, only took a week from America, can't be bad. I'll let you know how I get on over the holidays putting it on!

I'll post some pics, before and after temps, etc etc.