Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Boot light switch...

What are the common faults for them to stay on all the time even when the switch is pressed in by hand?

how do i check if it is totaly knackered or just lose or anything?

and if it is dead, where can i get one from?

thanks,

Neil

Simple switch circuit. Switch is only moving part. 12volts - Bulb - Switch - earth.

Only other possibility is that the wire between the bulb and switch has shorted to the body due to fretting. Most likely place is the rubber gaiter on left side where cables go into the roof from the hatch.

What are the common faults for them to stay on all the time even when the switch is pressed in by hand?

how do i check if it is totaly knackered or just lose or anything?

and if it is dead, where can i get one from?

thanks,

Neil

If I'm interpreting you right then I think you're not pressing a switch at all, it's simply the sprung tailgate release thingy, the switching on and off is done by a mecury level switch I think, so no amount of pressing the tailgate plunger will turn off the boot light :)

fitting a light like the glovebox one is handy in the boot, then you can force it into the off position if you have the tailgate up for long periods of time (those little units get very hot with prolonged use)

David.

the switching on and off is done by a mecury level switch I think,

Erm, no - it's a microswitch in the offside part of the tailgate lock. It cab be just seen by looking up into the lock body when the tailgate is raised. It goes open circuit as the lock "hook" part as it's pushed back by the lower body lip square securing bracket when the hatch locks.

It's the usual thing to go or it is misfitted. Dealer item, part number begins with 333 947 561.

ba-dum-tish... :roll: :lol:

Kev? it's internal to the mechanism IIRC... :(

Indeed, what I meant was I can't see it inside the mech as per RW1's description earlier.

I guess it entails removing and stripping the latch to replace the switch, but I can't be arsed with that this time of year....

kev? buy a door switch from Halfords and add it to the boot so you can have a light.... probably easier than messing with the original POS... ;) :lol:

Thought about that too.....but again there's a snag..... I can't be arsed :-)

argeed, how dop i get around this then without taking the lock apart as my alarm always beeps twice to tell me the light is on, or off as i have taken the bulb out?

cheers RW1, can this part be fixed, does it have a common fault or do i have to buy a new one from the stealer?

info info info i tell thee!

cheers again!

Neil