Sign in to follow this  
Chris VR6nos

Tuning the VR6

That head gasket looks seriously good, and I'm not a fan of spacers!!

Think I've just figured out my April dyno day cheat..... cheers chris :-)

HA!!!!! Way ahead of you - already got one and its fitted :) :)

« Chris VR6nos » wrote:This thread was mainly intended for raising the inspiration of H8RRA to get his finger out and sort a good engine

...and i s'pose a £4.5k ABT Billet Steel long throw crank, purpose milled piston crowns, Stainless Steel Spacer head gasket, ARP Head Bolts, and stage 2 charger kit with lightened flywheel, 6-speed and lsd is a **** setup/engine??????????????????????????

Cheeky Git......

Wheres some info from the guys on the other side of the pond???

So Cal etc.... you guys must have some good info and links for juicy vr bits....

There are a number of small tuner shops that do build custom motors. We usually don't go the stroker route with crankshafts, instead we'll usually go with a larger bore and larger pistons.

The guys that want all out power will just go with a stock block and go turbo. There are plenty of US turbo cars that are daily driven with 400+ wheel horsepower. The guys that fully build their motors are usually using their cars strictly for drag racing.

If you want to go fast...go turbo...it'll still be faster than a built VR with a SC.

You can rebore it much larger and fit liners into the block for serious reboring and CC, 3.5-3.6L is achievable!

Does boring the engine that much not cause problems with engine structural stability? isnt it weekening the engine?

You can rebore it much larger and fit liners into the block for serious reboring and CC, 3.5-3.6L is achievable!

Does boring the engine that much not cause problems with engine structural stability? isnt it weekening the engine?

I imagine the cylinder wall would be paper thin.

How would you fit a "liner"?

My mistake yeah 95.6mm, don't know what i was thinking.

Liners are simply a lump of pipe but with specific machining done.

You get the cast liners machined out and have the new ones pressed in then bore and hone them to size, job done.

Chris

Then if you want to get silly, you make the liners taller than the standard block and stick an extra-thick head gasket in... :lol:

The Cosworth guys do it apparently... but just cos Ford types do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea... :lol:

The Cosworth guys do it apparently... but just cos Ford types do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea... :lol:

Haha...that explains it all. :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

There is a 'brace' available which is about 5mm thick and allows the 'squish' area to run into this space giving you 10mm more throw with the appropriate crank and it seals like a head gasket but doesn't let the rings run in to it so keeping the seal and compresion but will increase the stroke by 10mm which is a lot!

with a stroke of 105.4mm and a bore of 85mm on a 6cly VR you can get 3.6litres!

Chris