Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

idle problems

Ok, firstly, my car (an early g60) is really unstable on idle. Sometimes. Let's say... 50 per cent of the times I try to start it up, it ignites, starts, but unless I hit the throttle, it'll choke because it dips so low.

Also, if I run it at idle speed for.. let's say 5 minutes, it suddently chokes by itself. It happened last night when I had my car on to warm up for a bit.

I tried to dip the ISV in injector trim thingie I bought, but that didn't help a mighty lot.

What should I do?

It usually runs nice when I first get it going.

It could be many things,start by cleaning out the ISV with brake cleaner,carb/injection cleaner and lube with WD-40, try also re-setting the idle speed with the manual screw,blue temp sensor may be reading out of range,try swapping over the two blue/black plugs located on the water hose outlet to see if it still messes about,could be low initial fuel press. because of tired pump(s),try priming the system by first turning on/off the ignition a few times in order to raise the press,99% of the time the car will start first turn because the fuel is ready and pressurised.

It could be many things,

Which is half the battle, especially on the flakey old VR!

We've (us Mods) have noticed a rise in idle related problems, so when time allows, we'll try and get an idling related thread together covering all the common things to check/do etc...

VEEDUBBED, I got pretty new fuel pumps, and they hum nicely when I turn the ignition to acc. I already dipped the ISV in injector trim (some gas product), but can I dip the whole thing ALL THE WAY under? How do I reset the idle speed with the manual screw? Or where is that manual screw? I'll check the plugs first thing in the morning.

kevHaywire, that would be a great idea. I know it is a known issue.

Yeah mate,my pump hummed okey but when checking the cold fuel press. using an accurate manual fuel press. gauge the needle barely moved!,after the third attempt on the ign.key the damm thing started no problem...,untill the next cold start,this could also point to a faulty FPR,rare but not un-heard of.

By using the brass idle screw i mean manually try and up the rpm with the engine out of cold start mode,anticlockwise raises the idle speed as far as i can remember,just clean the inner workings of the ISV,they are the components that count,just spray untill the cleaner comes out clean then dry with comp.air if you have,if not spin the bugger around on string,centrafugal force will help eject any remaining product,lubricate with WD-40 or whatever you can get.

I've cleaned my ISV with injection cleaner, but when I blow air through it, I can feel it's not 100% closed... it's ok like this? I'll say it's 95% closed :)