Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

how much power can it take

how much power does a rebuilt g60 box with the vr internals take, as i soon plan to have over 300bhp and dont want to go spending all the cash on doing the box and dif if is gonna break, should i just stump up for a quaiffe 6 speed?? or different?

Standard box is good for 300hp with a VR6 clutch and bolted diff. The gears themselves are strong enough if you don't go too mad. It's the torque that kills boxes, not the power.

The Quaife helical cut 6 speed set isn't all that strong. The dog engagement straight cut set is though.....if you can stand the noise. Think A series Metro.

The Gemini set was mega strong, but sadly no longer available.

You can strengthen the gears with hardening though....just depends on what your proposed torque output is going to be. If it's over 300lb/ft, you're going to also need to look at special steel cages for the CVs aswell....and potentially custom shafts....

yeah straight cut one for me then, combined noises gearbox and the bahn brenner, don't know what the proposed torque is yet but it will be high, plus the car is for drag racing anyway, i believe the dude with gold golf doing 11's this year had the quaiffe box