Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

New Engine, but which?

Get the S3 engine, will leave you money for fitting and maybe some new brakes too.

Or, like some have said, a 16vG60, would be well within you rbudget, and could even get a different charger on there.

Another option would be to charge your current engine. This could give some of the beter results as 4k is a good amount of money for building an engine. Internals would cost you, lets say a grand, considering you can get pistons custm made for around 100 quid each, get new rods and get the crank seen too, and everything lightened/balanced. Get all the headwork done etc, and a nice big blower, well, who knows what power you could be kicking out then?

Ronan what you say about getting new pistons & rods etc really sounds like a lot of work (but cool cos I didn't know you could build the 1.8 16v up like that). A bit intimidating though as I don't know a lot about engines & I don't really know anybody yet who does so I think a straight engine swap is what i'll end up going for as it should be the most straight-forward.

LowG what exactly does forced induction entail? Same kinda thing that Ronan mentioned I guess?

On another point, I don't know how daft this question this is but whats the diff between the Audi TT 1.8T (225hp) engine and the Audi S3 1.8T (225hp) engine. Or is there none ?

Greeny I think that 20vt was kinda on the expensive side thats why I :p it.

By forced induction I mean forcing air into the engine with the aid of a compressor either a turbo or supercharger.

I think alot of people underrate the 16v potential, the head flows slightly less than the 20v but with some work flow will increase greatly.

The TT and the S3 engines are the same.

I think you should do some more research before you spend on anything, and of course this forum helps ;)

Fripper, did you build you 16vg60 yourself? what engine did you start with?

yupp my engine is "home made" Its made of VW motorsport parts, many parts from "Golf G60 Limited"

So the 1,8L 16V engine is used

And i still thinks the VR6 are to heavy in the front!!

Its much harder to drive a heavy vr6, around a track with many "hard" turns than a 1,8T or a G60/16V.

But okay, i like my car light, i stripped my corrado for stereo, AC, noisekilling isolation and much more... The only x-tra i have is a "rolling cage" ( btw is that right word for it? :scratch: )

"16 V turbo convertion? Or 16vg60?"

16VT = cost less £££ (than 16V/g60) + more bhp easy.

g60/16V = expensive, difficult, cost a fortune to reach 250-300bhp + you have a high torque at low RPM and can rev high RPM:s (very nice setup for track racing)

I completely agree with the topic - ive got a 16 valver and im getting some moolah later on in the year which is gonna be spent on some sort of engine work. OK so it would be cheaper to buy a VR6 but it wont be "MY" car - i cant explain it - ive spent enough time and money getting my car to the condition i want (apart from the retrim which is on its way) the only thing left is the engine - I would much rather have a minter slower car than a battered VR6 - i know if you are spending 4 plus grand you would get a good 'un but it wouldnt be overly individual.

£4k may be quite restrictive unless you can source bits cheaply and find someone you trust to install them properly IMO.

The 6 cylinder conversions will require new wiring and a lot of patience too .. remember your C is kitted with a speedo and gearing etc for 4 cylinders. Of course the V6 will always sound nicer but as a general rule they cost more to modify when you begin to thirst for more bhp

I seem to recollect that new driveshafts, suspension,exhaust etc etc will also be required ... hence the sense from others in simply buying a V6 ... it's cheaper!!

As posted earlier, the 1.8T lump will give more stronger bhp/££ ratios and a simple ECU flash from Revo etc will liberate more bhp (and it's reversible). I've driven both a 3.1 ltr VR6 (abt crank) and later it's reincarnation into a 250bhp 1.8T conversion ... the 1.8T was a monster of an engine and IMO would easily outdrag the 3.1ltr V6 engine for sheer oooomphh .. the torque curve makes all the difference

I run a 16V turbo which I'm really pleased with but I had my conversion carried out before 1.8T's were released by VAG

I've assumed that you've got uprated suspension etc already ... good luck with whatever you decide

:x-mas: