Sign in to follow this  
DanA

Coolant leak

My car is leaking coolant from around this area See pic

As far as I can tell its not any of the pipes, so it looks like it could be the the Additional water pump - Is this likely to have failed or could it just be a seal ?

Dan

all i know is i pick my car back up today,

because mine was intially leaking from the water pump but they did a pressue test and it was also leaking from what that is in your picture

all they told me was that the housing had cracked and the coil pack needed to come off to fix it.

Think thats the plastic temp sender housing...

Hmmm, I think the leak is actually coming from the bottom of the bosch unit though.. May have to try and get a closer look!

get it pressure tested and they`ll find the leak

Was it the housing of the temp sender that had cracked on yours ?

yes it was the housing.

still not happy with mine though, there is no coolant loss

but as soon as i do town driving the coolant level fluctuates between 90-105

That picture is of the auxilliary water pump, a common place for VR6s to leak/fail. Both VR6s I've owned have required replacement pumps due to leaks. You've got a later style pump on there, which has three bolts holding the end cap on rather than the earlier push-fit/glued on version. The later ones aren't nearly so prone to leaking in my experience but thats definately the aux water pump in your pic. You don't need to get the coil pack off to replace it/check it just remove the ht lead guide(plastic cover) run it up to temp and see exactly where the water is coming from.

got the same problem, they're gna pressure test it tmro, but he said its more than likely that its the coolant expansion tank unit that itself has busted(he said its quite common).

everytime i come back home from goin out i see a wet trail on the road. I never expected it was from my car, but i shoulda known better, not many other cars traverse the bumpers........idiot!