Sign in to follow this  
Bobert healetty

howdy yall folks

i just don purchased myself a corrado and i noticed something when i when to check out the gear box i tested all the gears and it was very hard to find the correct gear...i am used to driving a bmw e30 and the corrado is very hard to find the gears also on the vw's you have to push the shift lever then put it into reverse...well my car is like that but it also goes into reverse without pushing the shift lever down....what could cause this to happen....its very very hard to find first gear because it always goes into either reverse or 3rd 2nd and fourth are kind of hard to find it feels like a money shift might happen soon...is this serious? should i return the car?

it has alot of work done to it performance wise and the entire car inside and out is in mint condition there was a book of receipts in the glove box = a total of around $12k+ in maintenance and performance parts the car

89k original miles but the bottom end has been rebuilt, with oversized low compression pistons, and the block was also bored to accompany the pistons less then 12k miles ago, The cylinder head was ported and polished, intake manifold port matched, aftermarket exhuast manifold, rebuilt supercharger, umm i forget the duration of the camshaft but its somwhere in between 265 and 270º i cant remember i have to look at all the receipts again, it also has an Authority stage III chip(im not sure how these work on g60s since its supercharged but i know how they work on an e30) anyways it also has lots of suspension mods etc tons of replacement parts like ac system was overhauld, new radiator, starter, timing belt, etc etc the list goes on and on, the entire car was just resprayed every scratch and knick on the car was repaired the car is flawless

other then the whole shifter assembly thing, is this just something i have to get used to or is it something major that shoudl make me want to return this car?it has had two previous owners the one owner who dumped tons and tons of money into this thing and always kept it at the shop getting stuff done to it performance wise, then he got married and his wife told him to sell the car then another guy bought it and took care of the maintenance meticulously the first owner really focused on power from what i can tell by the receipts and the second owner(who i bought it from) focused mainly on suspension and getting all the little stuff fixed like all the exterior trim and the electrical sensors etc etc...there has only been one shop to ever work on this car since brand new so this car has an awesome history but i would really like to know about this transmission problem? thanks and sorry the thread is so long

oh and btw this car is currently at the shop i was descriibing above getting a rebuilt supercharger installed.....i test drove the car while the supercharger was bypassed because it was waiting for the shop to installed ...it should be installed by the end of this week if the shop gets time

Whoa, long post! :)

Welcome aboard though - sounds like you've got yourself quite a nice beastie :D

The gear linkage sounds like it needs adjusting - it could either be the circlip under the gear gaitor that's broken/bent (pull the gearstick surround back and up to get to it) or the linkage itself needs a bit of a tweak and a blob of grease at the gearbox end.

It's quite a common problem though, so a search for "gear AND linkage" should get you more info :)

thank you very much i am glad it should not be a serious problem i will continue with the purchase.....this car is unbeleivable and i got it for dirt cheap because the guy just bought an SL 500 or something along those lines with the AMG badgeso he just said he needed room and really doesnt need the money so i asked if he could take 5000 cash (he was asking for 6900) and he said absolutely so i made the deposit so as soon as the supercharger is installed and running properly i oay him for the car...i think i got a very good deal here