Sign in to follow this  
PeteL

strange whirring sound at rear....

ive got a strange whirring sound at offside rear of my other car, its a mk2 golf gti 8v. the noise starts after bout 10mins of drivin and increases with speed and only stops once you are stationary.

had a search of the forum but not to sure what it might be... it had new rear discs and pads fitted only 3 weeks ago so could it be them? or the tyre? wheel bearing?

any ideas? cheers guys, i know its my golf and not my c but thought id ask u guys.

pete

id say wheel bearing . . .

Easy to check tho, jack her up n give it a wiggle, small bit of play ok, lot of play, baaad!!

Easy enough to fix, do it in a couple of hours most by yourself, but caliper carrier allen nuts are a biach most of the time . .

Andy

Yeah that's my guess too... I wouldn't usde the Golf too much until you know for sure and get it sorted :?

If you do it yourself.. Take care to inspect the stub axle too. When the bearing wears, it can leave a grove in the axle which can weaken it. These are pretty cheap iirc though

Good luck

P.s. If you do decide to do it yourself ask your local 'friendly' garage if they can press new bearing into disk.

DIY= £10 tops garage £35 + (should only take 1 hour labour tops)

P.s. Sorry for my first word of the year... Tops :lol:

thanks for the replies guys, ill prob take it down to my local garage in the next couple of days, we post up when ive sorted it

pete

got the wheel bearing replaced today at my local garage and seems to have sorted the problem, drove around for 30 mins and no noise :-)

fingers crossed thats sorted it!

thanks again for the help.

pete