Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

Knocking noise from n/s wheel

ok thats all a huge help especially cos of those clips for the boot i've never understood them, and I do have new ones in the kit. Just one thing I thought the circlip was the plastic thing with two holes the top to open and close with special pliers?

that's a posh one. These are just crude springy bits of wire.

Ooo, forgot to mention, make sure you get the 2 washers the right way round. Plastic one on first (can't remember which way round though) followed by the metal one with the concave bit facing you. You also need to use all the grease. Squeeze 1 pouch into the joint (which gets forced through the bearing when the drive shaft slots in) and the second just as you are about to fit the boot (which of course you remembered to slide into the drive shaft before the joint!!)

all done, the noise is gone! took a big lump out of my finger cos i decided to cut the old boot off with a stanley knife to get access to the clip at the back :oops:

Got a new ball joint, fixing plate and bolts while everything was off so i reckon i might do the other side too just for peace of mind and newness. Gonna book in at stealth for 4 wheel alignment so may aswell get new bits both sides first.

I didn't use the second pack of grease cos i had a fair bit left (i did cram the joint well full too!) plus there was quite a lot left on the drive shaft, should I perhaps stuff the other one in, I just thought maybe you can use too much???

You don't want to cram too much grease in there fella :-) I've heard it can seep out.... it gets pretty hot and runny on long journeys.

Keep an eye on it mate, if you start seeing grease splodges under there, undo the inner clip and splurge the excess grease out and wipe it off the driveshaft.