Sign in to follow this  
Niges16V

Amp the front speakers???

System: JVC HU, those little JBL's that replace the OE's, Pioneer 6x9 in p' shelf, Vibe CBR 12" with "Lightning Audio FF150.s amp (150rms I think).

Problem: Just got the sub working and was expecting a improvement in sounds, but not so :( If I fade to the front spks then it is all tish & boom, even with the rear JBL's working. If I change the rears to the 6x9's then it gets soo much better (at low to normal levels) but the sound is coming from behind and the sub messes with the shelf spks when it gets loud. I have also noticed the front spks starting to pop when turned up as they are struggling to keep up with the 6x9's.

I've heard that amping the front components is recommended, but would the improvement benefit me? Also, what do you have to do to the Vibe box to make it sound good, bigger amp or change to a sealed 10"

I know the Audioscape pods with larger spks is an obvious answer but that will be apprx £300 which will almost get me the H&R/Koni setup which is somewhat more important.

Advice greatly appreciated.

I've amped my fronts and 10" tube sub..... To be honest mine still sounds a bit boomy on occassions. I messed with the x-overs a bit on the headunit and amp, sounds better but still a little like that.

To counteract that I guess you need some mid-bass (hence why your 6x9's help) but amping the fronts will help you get more out of them I guess. More bass though depends on your speakers. I've got some Alpine 13cm fronts and tweaters that seem ok, but not nearly bassy enough.

Cheers Chris, might use that amp I got from you for the mrs and plug it into the fronts (unless it's crap of course??), or I might bin the sub and stick with the 6x9's and amp the fronts.

I assume you upgraded your amp, was it worthwhile??

standard front pods are useless , to get a decent sound you need audioscapes tbh

i've got a pioneer 9600 h/u, audioscape pods with focals, genesis amp and a vibe sub and the sound is good

i tried a few set in the standard pods and i was never happy

Actually I never used the amp. It came with a sub tube I bought on eBay so was surplus to requirements. I've always had a good 5 channel Lil'wonder 5 amp.... nobodies heard of them usually but they really kick ass ;)

6x9s in the standard parcel shelf will always make it sound a bit boomy i reckon. the material just isn't dense / hard enough for good sound reproduction imo.

but i reckon amping the fronts will help loads. they're probably distorting like hell at the moment from trying to play loud with a low-strength signal from the head unit.

under-amped speakers sound a hell of a lot worse than over-amped speakers. defo.

until the over-amped speakers blow that is ;)

Cheers Boys

I'll try using the amp on the front spks and if that helps I'll look into getting a 4ch amp - maybe the JBL which is currently £99 @ caraudiodirect.

current shopping list:

2x Tyres

1x snowchains (for driving to Alps next month)

4x H&R springs

4x Koni TA's

1x 4/5 Ch amp

2x Audioscape pods

They're not kidding when they say VR6 ownership is expensive :shock:

Niges16V, there's a really nice 4 channel JL Audio amp you can get on fleabay for about 199 i think. bit more than the JBL but a proper bit of kit.