Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Diesel Problem

Bonjour.

I know it's not a raddo, and it's a diesel, but i'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about diesel engines because my entire knowledge on them could be writtern on the top of an average sized sausage.

My car ( 1.9 diesel Golf P reg ) doesn't like starting in the mornings. It takes at least 2 attempts. After the first start it's fine for the rest of the day. It had new glow plugs,battery,starter motor before I bought it (( obviously the previous owner tried to get to the bottom of it ))

The car is also veeeeerryy sluggish, it feels very smooth for a diesel but just even more sluggish than I would expect, so i'm wondering if there could be some sort of fueling problem?..maybe the fuel filter? could this cause problems with the starting and lack in performance ? :?

I'll be trying to get something a bit quicker very soon (( either Mk2 GTi or cheap Raddo )) So I want to get the golf running perfetly before I flog it.

Cheers

Certainly i've heard that fuel filters on the diesels are a much more regularly replaced part than on petrol cars - think they are in the service schedule to be done at every 20k mile service.. might be worth getting it changed as its a cheap part and a doddle to do!

Yeah, cheers mate, usefull to know. :D

I'm planning on doing the fuel and oil filter next week, just wondering if any other probs are glaringly obvious to anyone.

you can unscrew the botom of the fuel filter and let any water that has collected there out. a common cause of bad running on diesels.

Could it be a temperature sensor that needs changing if its a bit of a pig to start in a morning?

Thats the thing that's bothering me, the car isn't running badly , it just doesn't like the first start, and it feels a hell of alot slower than my mother in laws p reg 1.9 diesel clio ... which it shouldn't :(

:?

Could it be a temperature sensor that needs changing if its a bit of a pig to start in a morning?

I dunno if it has any :oops:

Thats the problem , on a raddo, i'd know what to play with , but I haven't got a clue with this thing.

It should have. My TDI certainly has a few temp sensors, and its been mentioned on UK MKIV's that a bad temp sensor can often be responsible for morning start woes..

If it runs fine apart from cold starting ...the usual supects are the glow plugs

The Glow plugs are used to ignite the fuel in the cylinders on start up.

*wave from just up the coast*

Yeah , The previous owner had them changed

id still check them though, the water thing i mentioned solved my audi 80 tdi's sluggish feeling and bad starting, best of all its free!

don't blame you for checking mate!

Right...what a capacitor when its at home ? are they easy to change? and how much are they?

Right, next thing I'd do in your position...

Go to VW, explain the problems with it not starting up properly in the mornings and suggest that someone has a quick look at your big-end.. they may be able to see what the problem is just by getting under there and taking the cover off...

Nah, bollox to that!..they'll want £80 an hour to look at it and tell me " its a 10 years old car mate"

It's a simple looking engine, but i've just never done anything on a diesel at all.

I had a reciept for them , and the boxes for them were in the glove box aswell, i may just change them again.

Would the glow plugs make it run a bit sluggish aswell then?