Sign in to follow this  
MattieG60

Difference between 1.8t blocks (ie. AGU) and G60 (PG) blocks

Hi there,

I am a new user on this site. Just had a good look through the forum and it seems a very interesting place :D

I currently own a Golf G60 that I am restoring. The car itself is basically finished and I am now moving on to the engine.

I have a brand new AGU 1.8t block and brand new set of pistons lying around and am looking into using these in a new G60 build (providing I can accomodate a suitable CR, maybe through the use of custom rods)

Can anyone tell me the differences between the 1.8t blocks and the G60 blocks?

Also, are the cranks from these engines very different?

as far as i was aware the 1.8t agu block is a 20v twin cam block and the G60 1.8 block is a 8v single oh cam, meaning the engine and components will be totally different, i minght be wrong tho??

stu

Welcome to the Forum! :D Post some pictures of your car in the members gallery section!

Interesting idea, although it maybe easier to get a 20v head and build a 20v G60.

Try posting this question on Dubforce.net in the turbo section. Voodoo Ray on there knows a fair bit about 20v internals.

The valves are in the head, the head itself may match the bottom end in a different way to the G60 8v head. I can't see too may problems in thoery of running a 20v G60. The manifold would need to be reworked to have the throttle body on the opposite side to the 1.8t inlet, plus it is likely the charger will need custom brackets to clear the inlet.

The above is conjecture and not actually how it may be.

Theres a how to on the vw vortex website. If you go to forums, then under technical, In technical theres aload of different engine types and brakes suspension etc. U will find a g60 engine forum in there and there is a how to guide on how to build a 20v g60 although i had a quick look through and it sounds quite difficult.

MattieG60, did you find anything out about this?

Hi mate,

Have decided to stick with the G60 motor currently and build a full 20V motor up and perform the conversion next year. The only thing putting me off is the idea of ruining a G60, may just buy a cheap 8v and put the motor in that.

in general its about the combustion chamber. in an 8v its in the block hence the dished piston. on a valve its in the head. i think the 1.8t is also a 236mm block apposed to a 220mm of the G60 etc. it would need a piston change.

not worth the hassle as you are down grading the engine to match the ever so poor G60 head. also the pullies etc wont match up.

get a small turbo conversion for the G60 engine and port the head with a G60 cam. if you are worried about the charger but they aren't as frigile as there reputation states