Sign in to follow this  
boab

Is my clutch gone??

finally after gettin my car to run the clutch seems to be away or at least i think.

When i push the clutch in it sticks in and doesnt come back up on its own, before i left car 6months ago it was fine, this was my first trying to move it as ive got it running now, and it also wont go into gear, anyone got any ideas what problem could be?? or has the clutch just gone??

yeah you can even rob parts from a 90's Passat from memory(sure they're all hydraulic clutches)...........its around about the pedal box from memory......

should just be remove and replace..................you'll need to find out for sure if a Passat one fits 1st tho..........have you tried lifting the pedal up with your foot yet?......sometimes they can sink due to either air in the reservoir or a leak

yeah ive done that, i pressed it in full to select a gear and it wouldnt go into gear then when i took my foot awat it stayed pressed in, i pulled it up with my foot

try pumping it a few times and check the clutch fluid reservoir(its also the brake fluid one too)..........top it up if its down............my UR-quattro had a hairline crack in the reservoir and every so often clutch pedal would sink to the floor........topped it up and a few pumps later it would last a few weeks before needing topping up.........it could be as simple as that

Don't use second hand parts! - the slave is about £30 and new ones are plastic inside rather than metal so they don't fail like the originals!

Was gonna say, new slave cylinders are so cheap it's not worth messing. It should be mounted on top of the clutch box, on the right hand side of the engine as you look under the bonnet.

You *may* have a problem with the clutch master cylinder too though.

As a first shot, it would be worth having a go at bleeding the clutch through, I think there's a bleed nipple on the rear of the slave cylinder somewhere. It shares the same brake fluid reservoir as the main brake system, so top up in there.

has anybody got a photo of an engine bay and point this slave and master thing out,as ive had a look and cant really tell.

here you go, these are pics from my chain replacement, so lots of bits removed. 288 shows the master cyl on the left under the bit of string, and 301 shows where the slave is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the brake master cylinder, not the clutch one, no?

The clutch has it's own master cylinder, though it shares the same fluid reservoir.

can anyone show me a picture of where this slave/master cylinder is?? for the clutch, i just cant locate it

Master Cyl is the bit the pedal directly connects to, the slave it ontop of the gear box - look for the hydraulic flexi-line leading to it, it also have a bleed niple on the end of it...

these may help

004 and 008 you can see the clutch slave cyl atop the gearbox

257 you can see the brake master cyl next tot he suspension tower; the clutch master is just alongside and slightly lower on the bulkhead on the passenger side, it shares the master cylinder fluid reservoir.