flusted

16V TUNING GUIDE

Just a quick idiot question though - does the 1.8 valver actually have a ECU what with it being mechanical fuel injection??

Yes the 1.8 has an ecu to control the ignition timing.

It is possible to fit an early golf ecu to your 1.8 corrado,as the corrado ecu retards the timing high up the revs where as the early golf 1 doesnt.This increases power a little.

The early golf ecus have green writing where as the corrado 1s have grey

as for the head,it depends on the casting as the early heads had small exhaust ports which he may have opened out which would be fine.

Not sure what type of head it is, but i think the exhaust ports are opened out to the same size diameter as the 4-branch ports. would this be ok, or too much? if itsok it will definitely need more work, as that flow channel-thingy in the exhaust ports have been ground out to just a round circle with no sort of blending in. get what i mean? like he's just gone around the first five mil of the exhaust ports with a grinding stone and thats it. i'll try and post photo's if i can. any info will be great! FYI he hasn't opened out the inlet ports at all.

I would recomend the Miltek/JMR big bore system with a de cat. I was well impressed with mine to say the least. Gotta get the manifold done next and the gasflowed tb I bought off a bout a year ago!

I am also thinking of getting some head work done and getting a diferent cam (already got a KR in my 9a), need a bit more go in her.

Not sure what type of head it is, but i think the exhaust ports are opened out to the same size diameter as the 4-branch ports. would this be ok, or too much? if itsok it will definitely need more work, as that flow channel-thingy in the exhaust ports have been ground out to just a round circle with no sort of blending in. get what i mean? like he's just gone around the first five mil of the exhaust ports with a grinding stone and thats it. i'll try and post photo's if i can. any info will be great! FYI he hasn't opened out the inlet ports at all.

Sounds like hes just port matched the head and not flowed it?

well he's taken the valves out and flowed the air passage on both sides, but only by the bends down to the valves etc. at the actual inlet opening he hasn't touched it, and at the exhaust side he's just done what i said, grinded out the opening to about 5mm in and not blended it in. i would say it's opened out the exhaust ports about 4-6mm

gsxr 1000 tbs maybe? they ar wethe most cost effective and best size a bike can offer, or thats what i can gather, 42mm butterflies etc.

also itll take more than that nice head to make 250hp NA

probly big cams, solid lifters, good bottom end built to rev 8k

... i bought another 16v a while back, and as part of the deal a polished ported head was thrown in, this was all the guys own work

alright :D it's aide the guy you bought the car and head off! have been meaning to get in touch as i have the alloy wheel locking nut in my toolbox, found it last week - pm your address and i'll send it over :D

hope the cars running well, i got a vr which cuts out at 80mph, should never have sold the valver - see other thread :D

re the head, you not fitted it yet?!?!? in basic terms all i did was to gas flow the inlet, basically removing all the casting marks down the channels and through the ports, smoothed the entrance and 'divider' from channel into ports, took small amounts of material from around the ports, particularly on the inelet elbows which are pretty angled in standard head, i then smoothed the ports with the valve seats and polished as best i could! On the exhaust side I removed casting marks and the exit elbow as per the inlet and then 'smoothed' as best i could - wish i'd had more time to get it better but hey ho - in a nutshell it was more of a gasflowing than full port and polish! get it fitted as i want to know what difference it makes!

flusted - great thread, wish you'd done it two years ago :D

You want some of these.....

pics2110.jpg

Just another little project we are working on..... and all in cost of £120 so far :D

tb's for 120??????? get me some

How does the exhaust back pressure from the cat affect the 2.0 with the overlap from a KR inlet cam? is power gains still possible?

Bump :)

Yes the 1.8 has an ecu to control the ignition timing.

It is possible to fit an early golf ecu to your 1.8 corrado,as the corrado ecu retards the timing high up the revs where as the early golf 1 doesnt.This increases power a little.

The early golf ecus have green writing where as the corrado 1s have grey

This sounds like one of those cheap as chips ebay mods that might be worth a go. Which golf has definately got one of those ecu's and is it worth doing?

Any adverse effects etc?

Also without sounding like a complete and utter numpty where is the ecu and is it an easy swop?

Questions questions question... :?

Does any any one run a short shift link on their valver?

Thr VR and G60 boys dont seem to rate them looking at some of the other posts.

Cheers

thread revival :)

just clearing through old computer files and came accross the spreadsheet i did years ago! aim was to guage how qucikly air was drawn through the 9a inlet tract, and whether its temp could be even slightly affected by the 'external' manifold temps, without getting into metallurgy of the inlet alloy.

after looking at it i was pretty sceptical than insulating an inlet (to keep it colder) on any vehicle was of any benefit at all given the speed at which air moves through it, and am now wondering if i actually got my calcs wrong as lots of people still seem to swear by it!

are my calcs wrong??

16v intake dims.pdf

no idea on sums, but I'd have thought insulating it would keep it warmer rather than have external heat warm it as heat conducts up the runners from the head inlet face.

I guess a shield between the cam cover/exhaust manifold may help a bit at low road speeds but once you are motoring air flow through the engine bay is pretty high.

VW generally only shield fragile things from the exhaust, like the CV boots or abs unit and pipes, or the floor above the exhaust itself, so Idon't think heat transfer is much of a problem for the inlet, in fact keeping it warm enough in warm-up is more of a concern.

yeh agree airflow is really high, too high to affect temps when you consider the manifold alloy can accommodate differential temps from internal to outer face, so it may feel hot but internally its probably a lot closer to incoming air temps - i didn't feel brave enough to stick a temp sensor onto the inner face though :)

i investigated phenolic spacers to insulate the manifold from the head to avoid conduction you mention, i guess you could take it to extremes and insulate all brackets as well but i just couldn't see the science in the first place.