Sign in to follow this  
bighairymuppet

bolt for alternator snapped any ideas?

my bolt on the left hand side of my alternator snapped the head off today whilst i was adjusting my belt. it seems secure enough just now with just the right hand side trightened and the top bolt but obviously id like to replace it. any help?

how do i get the old bolt out?

what size is the bolt and where can i get one from?

anyone got one spare?

would it be safe enough to drive until i obtain one it seems secure enough?

thanks

The alternator has two bolts, fitted outside in, that screw into the mounting bracket. Sounds like it's broken right near the head so the alt is still supported by the rest of the bolt. To get it out you may need to remove the alternator mounting bracket from the engine, remove the other bolt then you may get enough play between alt and bracket to hacksaw what's left of the bolt and can then separate the alt from the bracket. Then probably drill the remains out, if you're careful you might not damage the thread but otherwise may need to run a tap through there.

VAG sell bolts

Sould be ok to drive, but makes sense not to cane it till it's fixed

hth

pretty much what i thought id have to do oh bugger. ill have a go at the weekend does the alt brack hold anything else? and is it easy enough to get off? thanks in advance... still havent found a bolt :roll:

Use a stud extractor...

Centre punch the middle of the bolt. Really in the middle. Then you will need a stud extractor. Basically a very very hard drill bit but it winds itself into a pre drilled hole in reverse. Sought of as it bite's and grabs the bolt it will spin it out.

I have removed snapped zorst manifold studs in this way.

You punch the stud. Then get a drill and matching size extractor. Sought of drill n tap idea. Then just spin the extractor in and out spins the bolt.

Only buy a good quality extractor bit, If you snap it in the bolt you will never drill it out they are very hard.