Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Head gasket replacement

Hi

I still have my big flat spot remaining since Storm Developments replaced my head gasket on my golf vr6 which is annoying. The Phirm reckon this is highly likely to be the cam timing being out - when Storm put the head back on. No faults show up on VAG COM.

I have a question, when a head gasket is replaced and the head is put back on - do the cams (and their timing) need to be touched or reset in any way? Would Storm have had to set my timing when they replaced my head gasket?

Thanks for any help.

Matt

The mechanical timing would be affected if they hadn't lined up the camshaft and crankshaft TDC marks correctly when refitting the cam chain.

They would also have to check and set the ignition timing.

So in answer to your question......YES .....the timing is "touched" (as you put it).

If this flat spot has only exsisted since you had the work done at Storm....i suggest you take the car back, explain the problem and suggest they rectify it.

I have already taken it back to them but they are useless and have since found out they lied to me about doing my timing chains (my car was due to have all my chains done and have the head gasket replaced) - the head gasket was replaced however they lied to me about doing the chains as my gearbox wasn't ever removed so they couldn't have done my chains!! I don't trust them to take my head apart to be honest!

So for them to replace my head gasket they would have to reset my timing etc?

Thanks again for your help answering my question.

I've never personally actually done any work on a VR6 engine but with most engines it's not possible to remove the cylinder head without disturbing the chains.

I'de speak to your local Trading standards office about this garage if i was you.

If they haven't done the work they said they have done, we are more or less talking about fraud.

How much did they charge you for the work and can you prove they haven't done it?

They charged me £650. The work they DID do was the head gasket and hydraulic tensioner bolt. The Phirm confirmed this but also confirmed that the gearbox was not removed (all the nuts and bolts were clearly untouched - even I could see that) and said none of the chains could have been removed with the gearbox left on - it was impossible. Plus the timing chain noise is still there.

The work they did do - i.e the head gasket and top tensioner would normally cost around £650 so basically that's what I paid for and nothing else. I'm not going to pursue it as it was only word of mouth before hand that they would do my chains (as it would be with any garage). I haven't been overcharged for the work that was 'actually' done. But Storm Developments are clearly not to be trusted and should be avoided!

Plus the work they did do was obviously poor as they didn't put the cams back in properly. Again, very hard to prove unless the engine is taken apart. Which The Phirm are doing for me next week when they do my chains properly this time.

Right. Finally had my chains done! The Phirm did a great job, and being just up the road from me (near Farnham) were very easy to get to. They said Storm had basically got the timing all wrong when they put the head back on. The cam timing was too retarded and a tooth out. This was what caused my flat spot. They had not lined it up properly and had not turned the engine over. This time The Phirm did it correctly and used a marker near or on the clutch (which is how it is supposed to be done) and now my car pulls extremely strong from 2000 revs (and explodes above 3k revs) onwards right to the red line! It's a total transformation. I also had a new starter motor fitted. Bit of a hefty bill but at least now I can finally enjoy my car after nearly two months of hassle with Storm Developments!! Makes a big difference if the timing is out!

Glad you got it sorted ....i hope Phirm are going to support you in getting some compensation from Storm for not doing the job correctly.

compensation from Storm for not doing the job correctly.

F*cking right, for a garage to get the cam timing wrong and not check/notice and rectify it is unforgivable.

Ditto what they ^ said.

Glad she's fiixed proper this time, sounds like she's going real well now

Luck with claim

Grrr it's a bugger hearing about things like this. They are large bills and it's not good to be told things that aren't true, whenever these guys are mentioned it seems to be problem related.

I remember matth76 posting this thread , fair play to you for being open minded and not listening to what could be chineese whispers (( not that i'm saying that chineese people lie when they whisper :wink: )) but theres a fine line between giving people a chance and not letting possible hearsay deter you,and choosing where to take your car through reccomendation by word of mouth . I recently found RK Engineering in St Agnes due to recommendation on here and was most impressed.

It sorta shows the importance of "freedom of speech" as it were, companies like G-werks,Stealth,RK Engineering,The Phirm work hard to get good reps.

I don't think i'd choose Storm Developments after reading your direct involvement with them.

Best of luck with sorting it out mate.

matt, i no of a VERY good mechanic in rake (near Liphook) i use him all the time if i can, unless its un-drivable to get there ect, i live in Camberley and still take it the 30-40 minuite drive to him!

Good mechanics are like gold dust, treat them well :)

Andy