Sign in to follow this  
MK1G60R1

VR6 CV joint, I think?!?!

I have a noise on my VR6 which I think must be a CV joint. It kinda sounds like a wheel bearing has gone but I have checked and they are all solid. I therefore think it must be a CV as the steering can get heavy and it just doesnt drive like it used to!

My question is; How do I know which CV joint it is before I buy an outer or inner and replace on the wrong side?

Thanks in advance! 8)

CV joints usually make a clicking noise when they are shot.

If you turn left and it clicks it will be the right hand side CV and vice versa.

Just because the wheel bearing is solid, doesnt mean it isnt making the noise. If the noise is only when youre accelerating, it is probably the driveshaft tho. Maybe put the front on axle stands and run the engine in gear, to see if you can find out which side its coming from, not that it helped me much when I tried that!

Just because the wheel bearing is solid, doesnt mean it isnt making the noise. If the noise is only when youre accelerating, it is probably the driveshaft tho. Maybe put the front on axle stands and run the engine in gear, to see if you can find out which side its coming from, not that it helped me much when I tried that!

Mine would make a noise when turning but only if I was accelerating as well, and that turned out to be the outer CV joint.

If it was inner (i have been advised) it would do it only, or at least predominantly, at full lock.

Man I really need to get to grips with this search! Couldn't find that at all...

I'm sure its not a wheel bearing as the steering is effected alot. There is no knocking or clicking when I turn though, it only gets louder the faster I go. I'm thinking its the early signs of an inner CV... I think...

Will check ball joints too as I didnt bother to check when I looked at the bearings!

Thanks everyone