Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

Can this flange swap be done?

I'm in the middle of fitting a 4.25 final drive to a 02a gearbox and was going to see if I could fit some 90mm 020 flanges to it. I've been told its possible but now I've looked at it I cant see how it can be possible without using an 020 diff in the 02A box. Anyone know if it can be done? I've attached some pictures to illustrate the problem. Read the captions.

Totally different aren’t they? I can’t see any way that it can be done, unless you can fit a 020 diff to a 02A box. Which I think is unlikely.

(I know the above diff's are pelequin but you get the idea)

Nah you can't use 020 flanges on the 02A diff.

The 020 works differently to the 02A in as much as the 02A lost the partial diff lock (the springs and cones behind the 020 flanges).....

It’s for someone’s mk1 conversion, which I'm not doing and don’t know anything about. Apparently, so I’ve read on clubgti forum, you can fit mk1 cabriole drive shafts which have 100mm inner cv’s. What do you think?

I was just wondering if the shafts/trunions in the 020 diff can be fitted into the 02A diff. Don’t want to strip down an 020 just to check if someone can confirm my suspicions that I’d be wasting my time first.

Kev, the springs aren’t really a problem. It’s the male/female fitment that’s making it look impossible.

Looking at the physical differences between the two, I'd say not. Hotgolf or Vince will know for sure but I'm sure they'll tell you you can't put the round brick in the triangle hole aswell....

I'd go with the 100mm 020 flanges personally, at least you'll keep the diff lock that way....

you can't put the round brick in the triangle hole aswell....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It’s worth a go though; if you've got a big enough hammer!! Definitely fitting an 02A box to the mk1.

So, does anyone now about suitable drive shafts for 100mm flanges on a mk1? Mk1 cabrio drive shafts?

How do cai, yea cabrio shafts are a direct fit but i already got brand new standard mk1 gti shafts complete with c/v joints

seems shame to waste them

I have deffo heard of people changing flanges to suit on 02a box

Will post a qstn on club gti

Cheers for your efforts :)