Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Passed MOT but

Firstly... WOOHOO!!!!!!! Passed MOT, so damn chuffed as most (all?) of you can probably understand.

But, the guy said that there is a little play on both of the rear wheel bearings, and most likely just need some adjustment, ie very slight play.

My question is, should I just get them adjusted or would I be better going for new wheel bearings?

There should be a slight bit of play in the rear wheels, it's how VW set it up at the factory!!

P's me off that does when they fail VW rear bearings.... they should know they have play in them as standard.

Firstly... WOOHOO!!!!!!! Passed MOT, so damn chuffed as most (all?) of you can probably understand.

But, the guy said that there is a little play on both of the rear wheel bearings, and most likely just need some adjustment, ie very slight play.

My question is, should I just get them adjusted or would I be better going for new wheel bearings?

Have a go at adjusting them, all you need is a bit of grease and possibly a new split pin. Don't overtighten the nut though before putting the cap on and inserting the split pin, or you'll overheat the bearings. The washer should just move behind the nut given a gentle push with a screwdriver.

David.

There is no measurement as such, the technique is to simply screw the bearing's castellated nut on by hand, nip it up gently with a spanner, back it off again, then nip the nut in again hand tight only, then slide the nut cover and split pin through. Done. Check and repeat after 500 miles.

The play should literally just be a slight rock when grabbing the wheel and wobbling it laterally.

If he's saying it's more than a slight rock, take it home and do the above.....otherwise he's trying it on fishing for labour.

Well I stood there for the whole period of the testing and I seen the play, and it was just "a slight rock", it really didn't look all too bad at all.

I'm guessing it's fine then?

Just a little rant: They don't half *yank* the handbrake up eh!! :evil: :x

And... AND the fecker tried to lift the boot by putting his hands under the spoiler... :mad:

Yeah, slight rock is a pass..... he just hasn't got a feckin clue.

Yeah they are pretty unsympathetic with customer cars. My handbrake, which is all new MK4 calipers, discs and pads etc and goodridge hoses came up as a "note" on my MOT too..." Parking brake only just met testing criteria, needs adjustment or repair" FFS it holds the car on a hill with 2 clicks, what more do they want? it's how VW made it..... feckin morons....

EXACTLY man! Mine only ever needs one click, it wont go into 2 clicks a lot of the times, only very occassionally can I get it into 2 clicks! @ssholes!

Every MOT i've had I've been told about play in rear wheel bearings.. if it's excessive then it will fail but a small amount of play is neccessary to account for heat expansion at high speeds.