Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

serious problem lads

last night was driving g60 to footy practice!

if you remeber few days ago i put up post for aburning plasticy oil smell!

everyone helped

and the possible culprits were!

supercharger belt slipping

oil not going anywhere and venting into the inside of car.

anyway this horrible burning smell got really bad last night as soon as got over 60 gave it mild throttle then a couple of miles down the road had to stop, pull over!

As there was a little SMOKE coming into the cock pit?

so i jumped out lifted bonnet engine off! no signs of any flames in engine bay as i've alreagy got my lower cover off i check all fuses none shorted!

so leave it ten minutes and drive very carefully under 40mph to footy turned stereo off and turned heating off just slight remaining smell left no new burning? so then when finished drove to my dads just up the road!

when i get to my dads my dipped beam lights werent working only side light & full beam so check all fuses again all fine checked all relays were in there position and tight!

then looked in engine bay and under car for anything hot or burnt nothing!

so i've left the car at the olds house and they gave me a lift home! so i am now corrado less!

can anyone please help?

if it was the heater matrix where ive been using the heat loads in the last 2 weeks this could be but it seems like it only gets really bad after 40mph!

does it have an uprateted headlight loom ? good tale tale sign is two relays in front of the battery??

well i might be way off here but there are two relays one for dip and one for main beam, mine went a couple of weeks ago giving me just main beam no dip etc, on closer inspection there were corroded and really really hot (smoking), it could be just that!! they are usually just floating around in front of the battery behind the pasenger headlight, might be worth just checking that they have'nt bust, you can get replacements from maplins (theres one off the coppins r/about by the cinema is'nt there) there not exspensive. just my thought anyway..

of course if it's "homemade" it might not be quite the same as H100vw (gavins) one which is the one i have....

very much sounds like a prob with the headlamp relay/wiring . it should be possible to convert it to standard easily and have proper look at the modded wiring loom

Those relay's you speak of went in my VR6 recently.

I took it to my local auto electrician and he removed them and wired straight in as they "served no real purpose".

When mine failed I had a "disco effect", one fog on, indicator flashing continually no main beam etc!

But no smoke or smell of burning.

I know this isn't related to you lights but looking at the list of mods you have done, have you fitted a 4 branch manifold ?

I fitted 1 to my G60 and that was to close to the steering colomb rubber and smelt terrible when it got hot then smoked when on the rollers.

Just a posability

i dont think it has got a 4 brach manifold will check but when it happened last night the engine wasnt particuarly hot onlt been driving max 15mins!

it was probs up to operating temperature but nothing major! did yours used to smell all the time graham?

hi lads the cars at my dads today he knows a bit about engines and i have explained to him about the relays and the 4 branch manifold he's checked both but no real luck he said there is a 4 branch manifold but it doesnt seem to be touching anything, and he said theres no relays directly bhind the light and in front of the battery would these be anywhere else!

Mine were rattling about.

However, I think initially they may have been fixed, as I only noticed them when I had my rad replaced when I blew the thing up!

They are box like things with a series of wires fitting in, not very well at that!

Or thats how they were on my VR.

Like I said though...

When I took mine for MOT it needed "disco" sorting, the auto lec removed them, no ill effect, £25.

Hope this helps mate.

he said theres no relays directly bhind the light and in front of the battery would these be anywhere else!

They are in the gap between light and battery on my VR.

i will have to check myself on sat thats the earliest i can get there unfortunately! as my dad just cant find them does every c come standard with the light relays in the engine bay

Dunno mate, I think they are probably mean't to be fixed.

They were loose in mine, but I only remember dealing with them after rad change.

The lights on my VR aren't that hot, but apparently there is nothing stopping you from upratting bulbs with no other mods.

The joy of C eh! Should've kept my VTS :lol:

if the guy made his own headlamp relay set up , they could be anywhere really...have a look between the battery and lamps for any non genuine looking wiring

basically you will have a wire coming from your battery into two fuses then onto two relays, they generally just sit between the battery and the headlight, you can't mistake them for anything else there the only two black boxes there, if it were me i would just replace them any way so you know it can't be those, but i would say that this is most likely to be the problem from what you have described buddy.... they are'nt a standard fit from vag, the problem you may have is the previous onwer made his own and they could be somewhere else or there may be none at all !!!

steveo do you think this is the problem from looking from what ive wrote?

yeah it does sound like it could be that...have a good look around for burnt wires, probably be able to smell em if you have a sniff around :lol:

right lads have popped to the olds house in lunch to investigate the problem this should help i hope?

here is some pics of the wiring between light and battery:

relay2.jpg

relay1.jpg

are these the relays if they are had a real good luck no burning or burnt!

then took it for a quick 5min drive!

and when got back no real smell coming up thru so looked in engine bay!

looked around the fuel rail and past the f.p.r and there seems to be a very small fuel leek! hae a look:

f.jpg

fuelrail1.jpg

i was wondering could this be dropping on to the manifold and burning?

the only prob with this is that the burning smell i get doesnt smell very petrolly? hope that makes sense so then i phoned my mate and he mentioned that could it be possibly that theres a leak in the gearbox? and thats dropping onto the exhaust?

i hope someone can make some sense of this!

thanks andy